'98 Explorer front differential whine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Explorer front differential whine

bfsjr

Reaction score
City, State
midlothian, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer xlt
I have a 98 Explorer XLT which I've replaced the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, hub/bearings, both cv axle shafts and I continue to have a whine at about 30 mph that is coming from the front. I noticed that the ATF has leaked out of the front differential on the passenger's side and also around the differential cover plate. I think the fluid drained out of the front differential some time ago. I believe the front differential bearings are worn and causing the whining. Does anyone know of any good pics on this forum showing how to take out the front differential and replace the differential bearings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BFS

Could be an axle bearing, carrier bearing, or pinion bearing... At any rate, if you're going to replace one of 'em, may as well do them all, but that's a lot more involved than simply pulling the old ones out and installing the new. Setting the pinion abd ring gear clearances, backlash, and crush washer torques are all critical to making the diff last.

And as an added bonus, you have to drop the whole front axle to make it happen. Just another joy of Explorer ownership!!

Back