98 explorer fuel pressure regulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer fuel pressure regulator

cg5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
does anyone know if there is a conversion out there for the obsolete fuel pressure regulator on the 4.0 SOHC engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked around a bit and it seems that the OHV regulator won't fit, has a mounting bracket around the centerline of the vac chamber while the SOHC has a flat plate at one end, as well as the SOHC version having a braided fuel hose married to it instead of separate as on the OHV version. It's a shame since the OHV version is still available.

I skimmed over the following page, which could take DAYS to fully digest, where ultimately it looks like a guy found a working solution using still available regulator(s), and new fittings/adapters, or something.

Explorer: I have need to replace the original Fuel Pressure…

Now I don't know enough about the SOHC vs OHV fuel rail differences to make a good educated guess, but after I started reading that topic I wondered if it would be possible or better to try to adapt an OHV fuel rail to the SOHC, how much work that would be, if even reasonably worth the bother.

Thank you for the reply and yes this seems to be a complicated matter. Its a shame when you have such a reliable "OLD" vehicle that you cant find replacement parts. Just today I located a used regulator/fuel rail from a salvage yard, but how long will it last? I will try to pursue some sort of conversion as it seems there are still a lot of these good old explorers on the road. Thank you again for the help.

Pretty sure you can find new motorcraft ones on eBay. I have a 97 4.0 sohc and just bought one last month for 50-60 bucks. It’s the one that bolts on to the end of one of the fuel rails. I’ll see if I can find the part number. A lot of eBay motorcraft parts won’t pull up in a search unless you use the motorcraft part number. I haven’t replaced mine yet....hopefully I bought the right one. Lol.

A '97 to '98 4.0L SOHC has the fuel return line and uses a Fuel Pressure Regulator part # 97JF-9C968-AB

The topic I linked previously shows why the OHV version won't work due to a different fuel rail with mounting differences - You "might" be able to get the OHV regulator to work if you made an adapter plate and added a fuel hose since the OHV version uses a removable hose as a separate part #, but IMO you'd want to be good at metalwork because you don't want a fuel leak on top of the engine later. It's the kind of thing an insurance company would not like.

That separate hose could be the original hose you cut off to reuse if it's in good shape still, or a new one with a Ford fitting added to the end. Possibly you could get that separate hose part # for the OHV regulator and use it, or not.

Ya, beware of what eBay tells you will fit. I think I bought an ohv regulator when it was listed for a sohc. I believe Bosch part # 0 280 160 554 will work but you’ll have to cut off the old braided line at the regulator and put on an end that will mate onto the new Bosch one.

Just picked one up off a low mileage 00ex xlt 4.0sohc, just in case I need one in the future.

Not sure if this helps but the actual number on the regulator I got is
1L2E-9F775-AB
000907B

does anyone know if there is a conversion out
there for the obsolete fuel pressure regulator on the 4.0 SOHC engine?
@cg5
Assuming this is a return-type fuel system, the pressure regulator controls the volume of fuel LEAVING the fuel rail on it's return path to the tank. If worst came to worst, the old regulator could be blocked off, and a new, stand-alone regulator connected to the exit of the rail and the return line could be installed. I did this on my 5.0 HO, using an adjustable regulator, and it has worked well. Understand, that the regulator's ratings are based on a spring-loaded diaphragm acted upon by engine vacuum, so if this install were done, it would be best to match a regulator having original specs, if an adjustable were not used. imp

Back