• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer RAP Module

rickr1964

Reaction score
City, State
Reading, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I have a 98 with power locks and windows, it does not have a door key pad, bought with no remotes. I am trying to find out if all 98's had a RAP module? I looked in passenger side rear panel, I only found the door lock relays no RAP. Is there another location the RAP might be in? The key if turned 2 times in drivers side unlocks all doors. I would really like remote entry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 with power locks and windows, it does not have a door key pad, bought with no remotes. I am trying to find out if all 98's had a RAP module? I looked in passenger side rear panel, I only found the door lock relays no RAP. Is there another location the RAP might be in? The key if turned 2 times in drivers side unlocks all doors. I would really like remote entry.

the RAP module in all my vehicles ('97, 00, 01) are all in the front of the jack compartment. the only Ex that has a different location is the SporTrac.

I have looked in the jack access panel and only found the 3 door lock relays where the RP should be?

I have been told that all 98's had a RAP?

Well, you look for it in the jack compartment, but it is in front of the rear wheel well. You have to use a flashlight to see it, farther to the front than the relay box. The code will be the largest characters I believe

attachment.php

Well, you look for it in the jack compartment, but it is in front of the rear wheel well. You have to use a flashlight to see it, farther to the front than the relay box. The code will be the largest characters I believe

attachment.php

oh man, looks like Ford put that sticker on the RAP right where the bracket is so you can't read the code w/out removing the trim panel. i've always been able to read mine with a good LED flashlight and a mirror. unless i'm reading the OP's request wrong, he's not looking for the 5 digit door code, he just wants to know if he has a RAP module for remotes (which i believe all 98's would have).

Tip: buy your remotes off ebay. you can usually find someone selling 2 new remotes for around $10-$12 in just about any color you like. they look and work just like the OE's and don't cost $50 each. programming is easy.

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Repla...98|Model:Explorer&hash=item19e6fa8c41&vxp=mtr

Yep - if the RAP module exists it would be just forward of the relays. The really base model (XL?) might not have had keyless entry, and thus no RAP module. However, the wiring might still be there; then all you should have to do is buy and plug in a RAP module?? Good luck.

Back