98 explorer rear hatch makes noise, doesn't lock plus another lock problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer rear hatch makes noise, doesn't lock plus another lock problem

Nate_V8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5L AWD
Hi there, I just picked up a 98 explorer XLT that has 2 problems with the locks.

The main problem is with the rear hatch lock. It makes a loud noise when locking the doors but doesn't lock, also the key doesn't work in the lock (Key goes in but can't turn it any direction). I'm assuming because it makes a loud buzzing noise that maybe the pin fell out? But it is weird that the lock doesn't work with the key.

2nd problem I haven't experienced yet (I've only had it 4 days and have not touched it yet) but maybe it sounds familiar to someone on here.
The previous owner told me he removes the fuse for the power locks because the locks unlock and lock themselves sometimes. He said they work fine normally but when someone pushes the manual lock down on the front passenger door the locks keep going up and down. He did not specify if all the locks do it or just that door. He also said he removed the fuse because one time he was outside and he could hear the locks locking and unlocking so he didn't want his battery to drain and took out the fuse.

I put the fuse in when I drove it home and had no problems but I took the fuse out that night because I live in an apartment and I didn't want the locks to be unlocking in the parking lot because I don't trust people.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Could it be related to the hatch?

The main problem is with the rear hatch lock. It makes a loud noise when locking the doors but doesn't lock, also the key doesn't work in the lock (Key goes in but can't turn it any direction). I'm assuming because it makes a loud buzzing noise that maybe the pin fell out? But it is weird that the lock doesn't work with the key.

The buzzing noise sounds like the lock actuator is bad.

Back