98 explorer replaced ecm issue

parasound

Reaction score
City, State
Kverneland, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
98 explorer replaced ecm issue & tranny issue

I have a 98 explorer 4.0 sohc, 5r55e, 4x4 XLT.
I have some transmission problems, I lost 4-5th gear and lockup, so replaced the valve body, then the forward drum broke, and only had 1st gear, replaced the drum, put it back in, then the piston side fork on the intermidiate band broke, replaced that one too, but still the same no 4-5th gear and lockup issue. Got the transmission checked at at shop, and they tested the valve body, checks out ok. have also replaced the tps. So assumed that only think left was the ecm. I have a european truck, that of course has its european ecm. Theyre hard to find, so got a hold of an amercan ecm from same year, same engine and same transmission. Put that in today and got the keys programmed. Transmission still does weird things, but I did get lockup, and at about 60mph it skips 4th gear and goes directly in 5th with lockup, and then slams out of lockup again and stayes in 5th gear. So, guess its an improvement.. also got better idle with the american ecm.
But it throws codes, got 4 codes, 2 codes on the post cat oxygen sensors, that theyre missing P0161 and P0141. There are only two sensors on my truck, and theire pre cat, seller of the ecm also told me that the donor truck only had 2 sensors, is it possible to "reprogram" away these to sensors for a dealer?
The other two codes are P0452 and P1451, EVAP malfunction.
0452 are fuel tank pressure sensor low, have not checked this sensor yet, but its probably the same issue as with 1451, canister vent solenoid malfunction, I did find the solenoid located behind my spare tire, but theres no wire connected to it.. cant find no wires around it either that could connect here. is it possible for a dealer to reprogram that the ecm too?
Any help would be much appreciated as Im about to get pretty frustrated:rolleyes:

Got a little update now, took my truck to the dealer, they had no clue about the check engine light and my codes and how to get my new ecm to ignore the missing sensors, so I talked them in to let me borrow theire computer and try myself, not sure how I did it, but somehow I managed to transfer the setup from my old ecm to my new, whola, no more check engine light (so far:) But still got the transmission issues, also noticed that revers is not locking properly and it slips a little bit, sometimes it locks in fully, sometimes slip, and I can feel it locking and slipping while backing up. I took it for a trip with the dealer computer hooked up, and everything seems fine, it shows all the gears running fine, but the transmission doesnt run fine, in fifth gear when it tries lock up, and then slams right back out of lockup, but the computer said it ran with lockup the whole time, and same with the gears, the computer say it stays in a gear, but the transmission goes up and down in gear, maybe slipping? Could it be low oil pressure?

New update, hopefully somebody can help:)

Now I have got my tranny opened and replaced again some clutches that had only been driven a couple of miles, seems maybe the old ecm tried to put in two gears at the same time or something.. but got it in with the new ecm and now it shifts nice and got the gears. But.. to get it to apply gears I have to almost let go of the throttle, and soon as I try to give a little throttle it downshifts, that is for all the gears, including lock up, let go of the throttle, it upshifts again. Have checked the tps, voltage is fine. no trouble codes,
any ideas?

Back