98 Explorer Sport ball joint problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport ball joint problem

rabbit

Reaction score
City, State
NEPA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Hi all, new to the boards but done a lot of reading and some great stuff. Now for the problem:
98 sport 4x4, read the popular how-to link on lower ball joints and got the moog replacements. Problem is that link dealt with a 2wd. I have the caliper and rotor off, the tie rod end free, and the ball joint seperated from the lower control arm. When I jack up the arm, the CV housing bumps the LCA and it won't clear the ball joint stud. I need maybe 1/2" more. How are you guys getting it clear? Do I need to remove the spindle nut? Do I have to remove the halfshaft? Help please, I got this far and I hate to put it back together and send it to the garage. :fire:

Remove the upper control arm pinch bolt, disconnect the upper control arm from the spindle and let the spindle fall forward. This should give the CV enough clearance to come out.

Thanks, I'll try that. One question, give the CV room to come out of where? Out of the front diff or out past the control arm?

Back