• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport lift question

Healy98

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 2WD
Hi, I have a 98 Sport Explorer 2WD and I've been looking into getting a 3 inch suspension lift. Its been difficult to track down any that I think could work. Do the ranger ones work? or the 4WD lift kits for explorer sports?

Any information regarding where I can locate lift kits for my explorer would be greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone has any pics of thier 98(ish) sport explorer that would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a Explorer Pro Comp 3" spindle lift kit since your 2wd. add a set of AAL an d/or shackles to give you the additional lift in the rear.

No thats not the kit you want...thats for a coil sprung ranger...for some reason i thought pro comp was discontinuing the explorer spindle(i could be wrong) as far as i know the only current options are doetsch, like i mentioned above or fabtech (http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/applications/ford/2wd01-05rangeredge.html) fabtech is the one that makes a 'kit.' you can get spindles AAL and front and rear shocks which is all you will need...the add a leaf installs in between the the leaf pack(you will have to dismantle it) and it will give you approximately 1.5-2" of lift, there is an adobe download for instructions on installation for both the AAL and the spindles..you should have no problem

Cool. Thanks for the help. In your opinion, is it a DIY job? or would i be lookin at paying a mechanic?

Well i would do it myself...if you have a mechanically inclined friend to help then i would definitely do it myself...but allocate a full day to do it(it's not going to be like an oil change or anything)...check out the fabtech website though for the directions and read them carefully beforehand, they're fairly simple to follow, and like i said you shouldn't have any problems...there might even be a write up on how to do the install from some of the members on here, try searching.

but do allow for a front end alignment as soon as you take it off the jack stands...that is an absolute must :thumbsup:

l8r, John:cool:

spindles

just ordered the doestch spindles for my 99 sport 2wd.
w'll see how they do.

Back