98 Explorer Sport will not start unless you press gas pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport will not start unless you press gas pedal

vze4b39s

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
My 1998 Explorer Sport will not start unless you press the gas pedal. But as soon as it starts and I let go of the gas pedal it dies again. I've swapped the Fuel Pump relay and checked the battery.

Battery is good at 12.45V and even using a jump battery, it does not start.

It will sound like its trying to start but never cranks over unless I press the gas pedal.

Do i have a bad alternator or starter?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have u checked ur fuel filter that would be my next check it might be clogged and not getting enough pressure to the injectors

SOHC or OHV V6?

Depressing the accelerator should have little (if any) affect on the electrical load on the starter. How far down do you have to depress the accelerator for the engine to start? Depressing the accelerator all the way to the floor "tells" the PCM the equivalent of "the engine is flooded". The PCM then leans the air/fuel mixture.

Does this sound like a classic stuck IAC? Take off the IAC and see if it starts up. That would rule that out quite quickly!

Does this sound like a classic stuck IAC? Take off the IAC and see if it starts up. That would rule that out quite quickly!

Where exactly is the IAC?
I will give this a shot. This sounds like it could be it from all the research I've been doing.

Thanks!!

Back