• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport?

chrismikayla

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Buick Regal LS
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum as I’m about to purchase a 98 sport model from a highly rated dealership that automatically provides car fax reports. It’s a 5 speed with 171k miles and a very nice body and interior. Clutch and motor are strong. The rub is I’m worried about it being 20 years old. Are these trucks fairly bulletproof? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Huge plus it's a manual transmission with a clean body and interior. At 171k it's equally important which 4.0L V6 engine it has. Although 50 less HP, most here will agree the earlier OHV engine is much more reliable. SOHC doesn't have much of a following due to plastic timing chain guide failures. Check 8th digit of VIN.

VIN Decoding Ford Explorer Ranger Bronco II VIN Number

1998 Ford Explorer problems

Thanks the 8th number is a 3 in the VIN

I have 98 sport auto trans, SOHC engine. I bought new. Currently 119,000 miles.

1) Gas pedal bracket welds may break.
Fix- Remove pedal, there are 2 holes in the bracket, drill through these through the fire wall and bolt the bracket down.

2) Door won't lock or open from the inside.
Fix- Replace latch while you are still able to get it open!

3) Remove cowl panels in front of windshield. Check the area down inside in front of the drivers side. Factory spot welded seam is rusted and leaks water into truck. You will find the padding beneath the carpet is soaked, drivers side on mine.

Fix- I was able to clean up the rust and seal it .

4) Ford ball joints. seal rots and it goes dry. Making noise as your driving along.
Get the dealer to replace them for you.

The Ford ones don't have the grease fittings on them.

5) When using turn signals you get a buzzing noise and signal.
Fix- Replace turn signal switch.
I chose to take mine apart and clean all the copper connections I could and greased them. Fixed it.

DR98

That model is fairly solid. That being said it WILL require regular repairs as would any vehicle that age and mileage. If you are handy and work on your own cars and it’s not overly expensive it’s worth considering.

Bought mine used with 122,000 miles. 1999 4.0L Auto SOHC for almost $3k moolas. It worked well until the repair would cost more than the value of the Explorer I donated it to Kars4Kids. It lasted until 235,000 miles. it towed my popup from Alabama to California without any issues.

The OHV motor with a manual transmission are fairly bullet proof. The SOHC engine with the automatic trans (or manual trans) not so much.

The biggest issue with the OHV engine is that it's under powered and they can suffer from blown head gaskets and/or cracked heads, which really isn't that an expensive to repair.

Thanks everyone. Ultimately I had to pass as the seller balked at me paying a mechanic to look at it

Thanks everyone. Ultimately I had to pass as the seller balked at me paying a mechanic to look at it

Then he probably knew there was more wrong with it if he didn't want a mechanic to look at it.

that's a sign you should keep looking somewhere else :burnout:

Smart move. Inspection likely saved you lot's of grief and money in the long run. What did your paid mechanic find?

Well, I won't buy any vehicle from the 90's at this point. The oldest Explorer/Mountaineer I would consider today would be an '01 and it would have to be in very good condition w/four new tires (and a V8) for me to even think about buying one. It's not just the mechanical stuff that's the issue in a 90's vehicle that you need to think about. Rust (depending where you live) is the big thing, but even the rubber parts, interior materials, PO neglect and wear & tear in general make owning a 20/20+ year old vehicle a money pit and make it just hard to live with. If you must have an Explorer - stay away from the SOHC V6's. OHV V6 is a better choice, but the 5.0L V8's rule and they all get about the same fuel economy (which is to say poor). The 2002-2004 Gen III's are also not worth considering.

Back