• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer trans issues

pontiacgpgtp

Reaction score
City, State
crandall a
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer
the other day my 98 explorer with a 5.0 2wd with 200,856 miles on it started shuddering and has delayed shifting also my overdrive light is flashing this afternoon wouldnt take any gears then got it to take and drove it home and shifts smoothly,what can my issue be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The overdrive light is flashing because there's a trouble code stored in the computer. Find out what the code numbers are, then print them here.
only codes I get are p0340 and p0401 funny thing is I didn't have trans issues until I replaced my alternator,seems like my trans went into limp mode

1. P0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction.
  2. P0401 Insufficient EGR flow.
Since both codes appeared after an electrical issue, it's possible that it might not be an issue with the actual sensors. Did you clear the codes with a scanner? If so, did the code reappear after a short time? Did you clean the battery terminals after replacing the alternator? Apply an antioxidant to the terminals.

Are you using a scanner capable of reading Ford transmission codes? Not all scanners will read them. I have an Actron and it will not read Ford transmission codes, but will read other makes including imports. Fortunately I have an OBDlink cable and a few programs on my laptop that are capable.

yes I got a code for the torque converter clutch solenoid but still goes in gear from time to time,my trans is whinning so could it just be my filter since building pressure makes the solenoids work correctly?

Back