98 Explorer V8, Full Manual swap, eventually SASd 2in lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer V8, Full Manual swap, eventually SASd 2in lift

Well my 98 Explorer has been removed from dailey driving and now being setup for traveling and light offroading in the Mountains or Moab.

I will start by saying I'm not the first to go full manual and will be taking ideas from this thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248285

So far, I have added 4406 Manual, Warrior shackles, torsion twist and alignment, 1in body lift, 265/75/16 Pro Comp Extreme Allterrains, all worked great for awhile but forward went out on the auto and I'm just not real found of automatics and feel that I can swap the 5spd for less than a good auto rebuild and then will have better mileage.

Todo's swap in 5spd
Get tuner
Build sliders
Build rear Bumper

really want to Sas front, but not lift it anymore than it is and run sway bar setup, ideally maybe use Jeep Rubicon axle so I still have same 5 lug as my rear and have locker upfront. I havent seen any other 2nd gens sasd, but not lifted much over stock. U might ask what for if not going taller -well reliabilty , little more flex.

007-6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently drove to Kansas City and picked up the 5spd from 2003 Ford F150 with the 4.2 V6 engine, and also had 4406 Manual and levers with 72,x.. miles $300 for all thought that was great buy worth the 3hr drive.

I hope that your able to do the SAS. I'm planning an SAS with a 2" lift in mind myself :D

I would think it near impossible to do a SAS with only two inches of lift. There is a lot of stuff that you have to fit under the frame rails. Unless perhaps I read your statement wrong.

I think its possible. Just may have to have bump stops to limit upward travel.

I wanted to but some problems with tranny and change of plans, led to the sale of this clean explorer, the engine is now in this truck.

huh. well nevermind then :)

I would think it near impossible to do a SAS with only two inches of lift. There is a lot of stuff that you have to fit under the frame rails. Unless perhaps I read your statement wrong.

I've been looking it over, and mulling it over in my mind. I'm thinking its totally doable even as a three link. I think radius arms would be easier, but with not very great uptravel I would want something that flexes for maximum droop. I'm discussing it HERE

Back