• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer won't start

steveandbelinda

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD
I stopped at the store today. Came back out and truck won't start. Not a dead battery, cause I tryed jumping it, and wasn't getting the "click,click.click.. Don't think that it is the starter, becuase when I turn the ignition key, nothing happens, not even a "click", totally no noises when I turn the key. Got under the hood, and put my fingers on #6 relay in the power distribution box "that is supposed to be for starter relay", and try starting truck with my remote started fob. Relay seemed to click off and on, but not sure. I really could use some suggestions on this one. Hate to take it to someone before I check everything. AND it is still sitting in the parking lot of the store, so I could really use some suggestions asap.
Thanks guys!
Steve :confused:

Bad battery cable perhaps? I had a cable rust through once and it did exactly that, fortunately you're not in a snowstorm like i was!

I would think that I would have no power though. I have power to everything, and everything works, but will not start. I was going to put a jumper cable from starter solenoid directly to battery, but connection on solenoid is on top of solenoid where I can't seem to reach.

take a volt meter or an amp meter, check the voltage or amperage at the selenoid when you you turn the key, if no voltage then there is no power at the selenoid to pass to the starter, look for broken or corroded leads. if there is power at the selenoid, then the selenoid is dead.

Back