Codo

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Callsign
N9VBW
Ok, I bought a 98 Explorer XLT from a friend. Overall, it's in good shape. Engine seems to run fine, but there's some issues here and there. Started with having to put a new battery and alternator in the other day. Sigh.

Since day one though, there have been some error codes. I have check engine light and and abs light. The abs light comes and goes, and I have felt the abs engage a couple of times.

I bought a good Actron scanner to look at everything and here's what I'm seeing.

ABS C1145 Right Front Speed Sensor Input Circuit Malfunction
ABS C1235 Wheel Speed Right Front Input Signal Missing
ABS C1095 Hydraulic Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction
ECM P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
ECM P1000 On Board Diagnostics II Monitor / Drive Cycle Test Not Complete
ECM P1260 Theft Detected Engine Disabled

Now I assume the theft one explains why I came out the other night and the car refused to engage the starter. Why it's still saying that seems odd since I just started the car as I'm typing this.

I took it to a dealership and they want $1200 to repair and are telling me that might not even fix the ABs problems. Holy cripe that's all I paid for the car! I was willing to pay that for a 173k truck because the guy who owned before babied it, and I know the tranny got rebuilt at round 130k.

But seriously, looking in these forums, I wonder if the dealer was just going to throw parts at the problem until it disappeared or what? Heck they told me I had to replace the whole front right wheel hub to get the sensor corrected! I hate to ask why they want $800 to fix the cam shaft sensor, or is that for a new camshaft?!?

I'm not super worried about the ABS, but it would be nice to get it to work. Worst comes to worse though, my son will just have to remember to pump the brakes I guess!

Other issues I have is that I think the lock solenoids aren't in great shape. I only have two doors that work correctly. One door almost wants to move, and if I hit unlock enough times, the tailgate will unlock. Key doesn't work in the driver door or tailgate, but at least the passcode system works. Key fob doesn't do anything either. Replacement stereo that somewhat works until I I plug my phone into the USB charger in the cigarette lighter port...then the radio goes to static. Rear wiper non functional.

Poor truck, but the engine is smooth, and the 4x4 system is working just fine.

Thanks for any advice!

Chris

Anti-theft issue has nothing to do with the starter motor. Fuel injectors are turned off.

The top two are *most likely* your RF wheel bearing, how does it sounds going down the road? Bad bearings generally sound like excessive highway noise or abnormally noisy tires, when mine went bad, an early sign was random ABS engagement. Not sure about the 3rd one, 4th one might be a standard "dummy" code, I occasionally get it from having the battery disconnected, or having cleared all the data from the PCM and it literally hasn't relearned, it might be self fixing, 5th is a PATS issue, is your key the OEM Ford key, or an aftermarket one? Mine came with both and the battery was dead in the aftermarket one and caused that code.

Personally, I could live without the ABS brakes, too...and, I live/drive in MN. My ABS light started to randomly illuminate and then stayed on permanently about 6 wks ago; although I never had any indication of it actually engaging. Nor, did I have any signs of a bad wheel bearing. But, figured since it was the original with 170K miles on it and winter quickly approaching, I changed it out and the light went away. In your case, I'd start with that. You're probably on borrowed time having to replace a bad bearing, anyway. A quality Timken brg is less than $100 at Rockauto if you're willing/able to do it yourself. It's not a difficult job if you have the tools and some general mechanical skills. For what the stealership would charge, you could buy all the necessary tools and still save some money.

Back