• Register Today It's free!

98 ford exploer 2 wd 4.0 SOHC

rpaintiff

Reaction score
City, State
Hinckley,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello

I have a 98 ford explorer 2 wd with a 4.0 sohc vin e. I found a 98 4.0 sohc engine out of a 4 wd. The swap charts says they are not a direct interchange but are they the same block and heads. Are they the same engine and what will I have to change if they arent and will it work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks but I not sure off the answer. Everything is the same except one has the balance shaft and one doesnt. Same block, heads ect....? So the balancer isnt needed?

The balance shaft is there due to harmonics generated in the 4wd system and the balance shaft system supposedly deals with those vibrations...It is not needed in a 2wd vehicle...

My question though is are you swapping the engines due to timing issues? The later model Mustang engines are a perfect fit and they have newer timing components that are not as prone to damage in service...The 98 engine will develop the same issues as the original if the timing components are the problem....

The chain broke and damaged the engine. I was going to install the upgraded chain assembly on the new motor it only has 71000 on it.

Back