98 ford explorer engine missing

davbell25413

Reaction score
City, State
Bunker Hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer sport
98 ford explorer 4.0 sohc 4x4 automatic sport. Miles is 235k

Has new wires , plugs, cam sensor, crank sensor installed by previous owner. Dont know what the mileage was. Wires still look new.

I didnt find anything when checking the vaccum hoses.

Found o2 sensor unplugged

Previous owner says it shuts off when hot when driving. No its not overheating on the temperature gauge. This started after driving it from Pennsylvania to South Carolina and coming back.

Has new coil pack with it. Plus a used a ecm also.

Thought about starting over and replacing coil pack spark plugs and wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No codes?

If it's not spark plugs, plug wires or the coil I'd suggest you do a compression test. While the plugs are out examine them closely for any differences in appearance.

Are you loosing coolant? That might indicate a cracked head or blown head gasket.

Just because you CEL isn't on does not mean there aren't codes stored.

If it's not spark plugs, plug wires or the coil I'd suggest you do a compression test. While the plugs are out examine them closely for any differences in appearance.

Are you loosing coolant? That might indicate a cracked head or blown head gasket.

Just because you CEL isn't on does not mean there aren't codes stored.

No stored codes either. No coolant loss or blow back. Not hard to start either. Has brand new battery and terminals.

No stored codes either. No coolant loss or blow back. Not hard to start either. Has brand new battery and terminals.

It could just be a bad plug wire. Just because they look fairly new doesn't mean there's not a bad one, or one that isn't shorting out.

It could just be a bad plug wire. Just because they look fairly new doesn't mean there's not a bad one, or one that isn't shorting out.

I know. Thats why thought about replacing the plugs and wire. Maybe even replace the coil pack since I have new one

Found plugs getting too hot. Unknown when changed. Which plug do I use standard, single platinum or double platinum? Which brand motorcraft?

Found plugs getting too hot. Unknown when changed. Which plug do I use standard, single platinum or double platinum? Which brand motorcraft?

I use double platinum plugs exclusively. Motorcraft or Autolite only.

Does the check engine light work?> If the 02 sensor was unplugged you should for sure have a check engine light until it was plugged back in

Does the check engine light work?> If the 02 sensor was unplugged you should for sure have a check engine light until it was plugged back in

I had the same thought. It should light during the bulb check (key in ON position).

Back