98 Ford Explorer O/D Light Blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Ford Explorer O/D Light Blinking

CanesFan502

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XL
I have 2 questions is it bad to switch from auto to 4x4 while driving? And also my O/D light is blinking on and off while I drive I pressed the button to turn it back on but it still blinks and sounds weird while I drive anybody have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OD flashing means the transmission is in limp mode, meaning it needs servicing soon.

4x4 auto you can shift on the fly, 4x4 Low you have to be in neutral and holding the brake pedal

I have 2 questions is it bad to switch from auto to 4x4 while driving? And also my O/D light is blinking on and off while I drive I pressed the button to turn it back on but it still blinks and sounds weird while I drive anybody have any suggestions?

Recently my OD light started blinking when my transfer case got stuck in low range. After repair of the shift motor all symptoms went away.

To reset the PCM remove your positive (red) battery wire for about 15 minutes then re-attach, this will reset the computer.

I just recently had this issue and it fortunately turned out to be as simple as low transmission fluid.

Good luck

--Joe

Back