• Register Today It's free!

98 front sway bar on a 96?

pjm

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4WD
I searched for this one but couldn't find anything - Anyone know if you can bolt up a 98 front sway bar to a 96? The 98 is a beefier part. I know the alternative is EE, just wondering if there was a lower-buck way to do this.
Also, if I only change out the rear sway bar to an ee spec one and keep the front stock, would that be an overall improvement or would it be screwed up because it's not "in balance". I already swapped out my bushings front and rear for ES polys. Also have new Gabriel VSTs all around so shocks are in good shape.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 95-97 mounts to the center crossmember and the 98-01 mounts to the frame. You could probably drill & tap the holes for the frame mounts to get it to work. Incidentally, the front sway bar is somewhat heavy on the 95-97.. Atleast on mine.. Its not a whimpy piece of steel.

Blee1099 said:
The 95-97 mounts to the center crossmember and the 98-01 mounts to the frame. You could probably drill & tap the holes for the frame mounts to get it to work. Incidentally, the front sway bar is somewhat heavy on the 95-97.. Atleast on mine.. Its not a whimpy piece of steel.

It's heavy but hollow none the less. 98+ front sways are solid.

I've never had an issue with mine then again its only one for driving.. I remove it when I hit the trails.

I had the EE rear bar and one point and a stock front bar and it worked fine.

Hartman said:
It's heavy but hollow none the less. 98+ front sways are solid.
Solid bars are not necessarily "beefier" and actually I'd be very surprised if it were solid (very heavy). A solid bar will actually break before a hollow one will. I'd stick with a hollow one.

Back