98 Mazda B5000 race report | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mazda B5000 race report

Georgetown%201.13.2019%206-L.jpg

Changing tires
Georgetown%201.13.2019%2015-L.jpg

Georgetown%201.13.2019%2014-L.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Participated in a unique race last weekend. The Roaring Fork Snow Trials. Basically a snow autocross. I did very well and won my class, AWD non-stud tires. There were plenty of fast cars there like 2 Focus RSs and Subi STIs all over the place.

1.27.2019%20Roaring%20Fork%20Snow%20Trials%201-L.jpg

Here is the winning run. The first lap is a sighting lap, at green flag the hot lap starts.

DUDE!!! Congrats!!!

Snowcross!!! Are there any classes for tracked vehicles? (not tires?) Just morbid curiosity......some of these UTV's are getting pretty fast and the snow track tech is keeping up with the power demands

They did race UTVs with tires. One ended upside down though. It was a real blast!!!!

Well, I finally beat the Evo. I've been trying different driving techniques and got it right. Left foot breaking into the corners and out. Keeping the suspension as calm as possible and keeping the front tires planted.

Pics
Georgetown%202.09.2019%201-L.jpg

Georgetown%202.09.2019%202-L.jpg

Very impressive.

I wish the ice here was still drivable. Ice roads were one of my favorite things about Canadian ice fishing. I remember being a ****y teen with my sled (1979 el Tigré). I challenged a guy with a much newer 440 Ski Doo to a match and he said he’d race me, but in his truck. I laughed.

My el Tigré did over 100 out of the box, and I destroyed him off the line, and for a half mile or so but he ran me down. I was extremely shocked. Should have picked a shorter run.

Was an older step side F150. At least it wasn’t a Chevy.

Guess the moral of the story is you should never underestimate something Ford Tough ;)

I built this truck to fulfill a longtime "in my mind" project. I have a build thread that I will keep all info on the build but I wanted to record the suspension setup and race results in a separate thread.

Link to build
Starkman's Rally Ranger now B5000

4D35C378-DA20-47AC-872D-A5F130A2FD4B-L.jpg
I put together a video about the truck, not very good but here it is.

Nice vid! Truck sure looks like fun!
Do you have a locker or limited slip in the rear?

Glad to see it still kickin around
What is so boring about doing a v8 conversion?
I enjoyed the video!
Having fun in a RBV is what this is all about! (and beating jeeps)

I love it. If I wasn't retiring, I'd be asking for details of those studded tires you race with.

Nice vid! Truck sure looks like fun!
Do you have a locker or limited slip in the rear?
Open, I have a set of 4.10 diffs from an Explorer Sport waiting. I think some of the handling issues will be fixed by a LSD in the rear.

Glad to see it still kickin around
What is so boring about doing a v8 conversion?
I enjoyed the video!
Having fun in a RBV is what this is all about! (and beating jeeps)
I guess it was boring for me, you had all the fun! BTW, the only issue I had with your work was the shifter cable clip came loose, pushed it back in and good. So, just want to thank you for a very thorough and great work! Its been sitting for months and charged the battery and it started first crank! I'm about to start a new direction with it. Going trail truck, my step son is getting his license and he will be driving it. Thinking overland build. Hope you are doing well.

I love it. If I wasn't retiring, I'd be asking for details of those studded tires you race with.
I have 2 sets of those tires!

I have 2 sets of those tires!
Very nice, I would have used them most every year since about 2003 if I knew of them then. I put on my studded Nokian tires yesterday, our weather forecast was so vague I had to bet on snow or ice. I'm happy we are just east of the storm front, but I had to baby the tires on bare pavement for about 110 miles. Nashville has snow and ice there since early this morning, it's a mess in most places.

I hope everyone has power and heat, it sounds rough all over the country.

I guess it was boring for me, you had all the fun! BTW, the only issue I had with your work was the shifter cable clip came loose, pushed it back in and good. So, just want to thank you for a very thorough and great work!

well heck yeah!!! That is good news!!

It will make an awesome trail truck, Mazda 4wd with a 5.0 = win win
We are doing well here in North Idaho that is for sure, hanging in there through all this crazyness

well heck yeah!!! That is good news!!

It will make an awesome trail truck, Mazda 4wd with a 5.0 = win win
We are doing well here in North Idaho that is for sure, hanging in there through all this crazyness

It's good to hear from you, you've been busy I'm sure. I guess there the temps are the big deal, you have been prepared for any snow and the road conditions. Stay warm.

we have been cold but that is no biggie, North Idaho is not nearly as cold as it was at 9000' in Conifer Colorado! There is like no wind here???
Not much snow this year, just a few feet, we had a bunch of rain which has made things interesting (50 degrees in January + rain = road washes out = digging ditches with excavator and shovels in Jan)
Otherwise all is well, I have already begun spring cleaning the shop, I have two shops now one at home and one in town. Just finished insulating the addition we built on this house last summer and added heat...today I go for drywall and tongue and groove... never a dull moment!!

Back