98 mountaineer CV joint ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 mountaineer CV joint ?

millerca22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mercury mountaineer
Clicking noise sounds likes it is come from the front left. Gets louder when turning left.
Replaced the Left front CV joint assembly and hub assembly. Clicking noise still present. What next ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

then its the right side joint, the sound will come from the opposite side of the joint that is clicking

I've a new left side bearing and axle shaft sitting in the shed because I fell into the trap of guessing at what was wrong. Give the front driveshaft a shake. Look at the front shaft CV boot. That's where the problem lied when mine made that sound.

Bill

OK, replaced the passenger side CV. Clicking noise must be coming from the transfer case. Will try giving the drive shaft a tap with rubber mallet and checking u joint.

Pulled the front shaft. That was the culprit.Is it OK to drive without it for a while

Not really, because it may overheat the viscous coupling and ruin it. Even when there are already t-case problems you have to be sure to always use the parking brake, as the AWD's will slowly roll/creep away on inclines w/out the front shaft. Personally I would not attempt to drive it w/out the front shaft.

Back