98 mountaineer factory amp specs and sub upgrade questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 mountaineer factory amp specs and sub upgrade questions

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
I am going to replace my factory 8 inch sub with a kicker shallow mount 8 inch.Does anyone know the max and RMS of the factory amp ? It seems to have a good punch and power to it for a factory amp.My pioneer deck has control over the level of the amp so i can turn the power up or down ! That's very nice.Is the amp only 4 ohm stable ?

The amp has way more power then the factory sub.I have blown 2 factory replacements now ! ha ha ha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hunt for examples of others installing a 10" subwoofer. I have read of them putting it in the stock enclosure, modifying the outer trim and cover. I have a Stealthbox to install some day, which uses a shallow 10" JL speaker.

I don't know what the stock amp specs are, I have one somewhere I plan to scrap though. I'm going to use a small JL amp, or a Nakamichi PA200(2x30w) if I don't like the JL amp.

Concentrate on distortion reduction, using RCA cables instead of speaker level outputs. That and a low distortion amp will help sound quality the most.

Stealthbox01.JPG

Love your setup but i am not going to go all out like that.I am past the age of crazy bass i just need a little something.I ordered a kicker 8 inch 2 ohm dvc shallow mount sub.If the stock amp blows then i will upgrade wires and a small mono amp.I love that my high end pioneer has control over the factory amp level.

That control of the amp is nice, most aftermarket amps you have to access a tiny screw to adjust it.

You did know that the factory radio was a Pioneer right? I kept mine because it's not likely a thief would want it. Plus the man who fixed the display issue, he installed RCA outputs for me to use with better amps. I have yet to install the amps or cables yet, I'm slow.

You did know that the factory radio was a Pioneer right? I kept mine because it's not likely a thief

would want it. Plus the man who fixed the display issue, he installed RCA outputs for me to use with better amps. I have yet to install the amps or cables yet, I'm slow.

Had no idea that the stock cd player was a pioneer.I had to get rid of mine because it tried to constantly eject CD's on its own even if nothing was inside.Then sometimes the button lights didin't work.My pioneer has a detachable motorized face ! its from 2005 and its a 60x4 Model, back when they made them like tanks it was 400$ back in 2005.I was lucky to find a Refurbished one from sears in 2013 for $250.So many cool videos on it and 4 Volt pre outs.I like having a old stereo in a old vehicle.I remember when Alpine made a rare 60x4 deck in the day that had to have a separate power cable.I had my buddy wire the power antenna to the pioneer so it goes up and down just like factory.I also had the power antenna rebuilt a couple years ago.

Here is a link to show you what my faceplate looks like.This guys is beat to **** tho.Mine is mint

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-DEH...043780?hash=item1eb6367f84:g:1PcAAOSw6n5XrR1s

Cool, I always liked Pioneer and Kenwood decks the most. My first speakers were Pioneer, and I think I still have them(sad to say). I've got a single DIN Kenwood DVD player to go into my 91 Mark VII, and I bought a spare from eBay for $150. It's the fold out 7" screen, with navigation and back up camera etc. That's another project I'm slow to get to.

Hey CDW6212R, What was wrong with you unit when you had it fixed? Who did you have fix it and how much did it cost?

Mine was the typical display, it went out. But that was about ten years ago, for $60, and I haven't been able to contact the man since then. I wanted him to do a second one, but I didn't get to that until he had quit the business I think.

Back