98 Mountaineer Front Wheel Well problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer Front Wheel Well problem

myata92

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I was driving about 30mph yesterday when a loud almost a ticking noise started coming from my front left wheel well. As I slowed down the noise would get louder but have more time in between ticks. The sound frequency kinda would be like when you put cards in your tires on your bike. It is quite a loud tick (or clunk) from the wheel well. Anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok,
driver side or passenger side-just for clarity

can you please turn the steering full right, and get a picture of the driver side suspension components and axle?

then steer full left and do the same on passenger side. I want to see the cv axles to sway bar endlinks

I took the pictures but I am not sure how to post them to the forum.

I took the pictures but I am not sure how to post them to the forum.

Please upload to a hosting site like

www.photobucket.com
you will need to make an account but it will be worth the effort. I use it all the time

I suspect a worn cv axle is causing the noise you hear.

hmm...mine does the same thing. Only it's not extremely loud and only happens 70% of the time. Mines an 00 mountaineer but same thing though..a ticking noise.

I've been told a little of everything but mostly that I needed to replace the wheel bearing?

Back