98 Mountaineer lowered shock recommendations - help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer lowered shock recommendations - help

whytry

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
Hey all,

I've been a lurker for awhile now, as my girl has a 98 Mountaineer and its was completely stock until me. Hahaha. Now I've added some tint, flip out DVD player, HID's, LED's and lowered it via the TT flip and 2" blocks in rear. It is her daily driver and I drive it occasionally with her, and it seems to bottom out a little more than I would like, I can't tell if it's the shocks bottoming out or the bumpstops. I am looking into it more this weekend. Hers is a 4.0 V6 with approx 200k miles on it, and runs great and no major issues. A couple minor things here and there but nothing major and it's going to be our parts hauler when she gets a newer Explorer in the summer.... So with that being said, what are some ideas on shocks for a budget? I have read (thru searching here) the IAS Edelbrocks, and Bilsteins, but they seem a little pricey.. This is a daily driver not a race car, or offroad monster, just a cruiser, so I'd like it to ride a little better. I've been into lowered trucks/SUV for years, everything from lowered to bagged to body dropped I've done it. So I'm famililar with Nitro drops, Rancho, and Procomps, and toxic... I've never really cared about gas or liquid shocks. Ran both, don't have a preference, but is there a reason for one over the other?

I used to go to 4wheel parts and look at the Rancho catalog n pick some based on what dimensions and mounting styles I needed but I'm noticing the 4wheel parts by me doesnt have that catalog for me to look at anymore.

Please help this is going to be a surprise for her bday next week, new shocks and tires, and the new Iphone 5s in gold....

THX,
WhyTry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you want the Rancho 9000 series. They are adjustable.

That, with new swaybar frame bushings and swaybar endlink bushings all the way around, "should" help with the bottoming out.

Don't forget the 5th shock on the rear axle :thumbsup:

Sounds like you want the Rancho 9000 series. They are adjustable.

That, with new swaybar frame bushings and swaybar endlink bushings all the way around, "should" help with the bottoming out.

There's one on the rear axle? Wow, I didn't notice it when I did the drop.. I will check it out.

Start by cleaning the bump stop contact points then applying chalk. Do your normal driving and check for "witness" marks. If hitting, may be as simple as cutting them down. Front, rear, or both bottoming? What shocks are currently installed?

Currently its the stock shocks from 1998 or alteast thats what she thinks. She doesn't remember anybody in her family changing them, been in the family since new. And from what I remember looking at them they looked rather old and worn, rubber bushing seemed to be cracked and old....

I'm going to do the chalk hopefully tonight or tomorrow and she whats going on there.

Currently its the stock shocks from 1998 or alteast thats what she thinks.
There's your problem, may ride better without them. ;) If they're black, most likely OEM.

Anything's an improvement, especially worn stock shocks. Do the chalk test and report back. GL

I think I'm deciding on either the Procomp ES3000's or the Rancho RS5000..... I like the RS9000, but they are too expensive with what I've got going on already...

There's your problem, may ride better without them. ;) If they're black, most likely OEM.

Anything's an improvement, especially worn stock shocks. Do the chalk test and report back. GL

Yeah they are black

Although popular, the RS5000 is a very FIRM shock best suited for off road use. That's a relative term, and subjective to the user. I tried them and found the handling superb for street with minimal body roll and brake dive, just too firm for my liking and driving style. Ditto with the Bilstein HD's. Ended up with the "cushy" Sensa-Trac's. I'm dropped 3" rear/2.5" front with the front bump stops removed, and have NEVER bottomed out front or rear. Do some searching, tons of shock posts and reviews here.

Monroe Sensa-Trac Front Shock Travel Specs

4WD #37122
Compressed Length 13.625"
Extended Length 18.000"
Travel Length 4.375"
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/37122

RWD #37177
Compressed Length 11.625"
Extended Length 18.000"
Travel Length 6.375"
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/37177

Im about 2.5 rear 2.25 front, rear springs sag a little and I swapped from left to rt to help offset driver always there and it helped alot with the car being level, but I'm looking for comfy ride.

SWSHAWAII - what are the part numbers you are running for yours? I was looking at getting the same mounting positions but shorter compressed lengths incase of bottoming out the shock. So I'm interested in what you are running on your if you can find the part numbers. Unless it the stock replacements.. That I can look up.

Stock lengths. For my 2005 RWD ST, Monroe 37177 front, 37035 rear. Keep in mind, the REAR shock mount points do NOT change regardless of drop distance, the axle just moves up. Looking at my invoice from 4/09 need to boast a little. Bought these when Sears had a 50% off sale. $120.96 for all four less $20 mail in "StimulusPlan" rebate from Monroe. Total paid $100.96 that includes a "lifetime" warranty from Monroe through Sears. :thumbsup:

Can you confirm that this is the replacement part SC2958 from Monroe?

Back