• Register Today It's free!

98 mountaineer, rear rotor stuck

98 mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
My rear brakes needed work, the rear rotors were shot. And they had quite a bit of rust on them. So I picked up new pads and rotors. After pulling the calipers I tried to pull the rotor, it wouldn't budge.

We first tried hitting it with a hammer, no luck. We then soaked it in penetrating oil, and hit it again, and again, and again... The we heated it up with the propane torch, all of these steps were repeated many times. About 2 hours later we got it loose. And some where in between all of that, we got the other side off with alot less effort.

Now, the problem. The rotor is hung up on the parking brake pads. We spent a good 2 hours trying to get it past the pads with no luck. And this is where we are stuck. It is currently on jack stands, and I am going to try again first thing in the morning.

Any ideas on how I can try to get it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dumb Question: The e-brake is off, right?

Yes it is, checked that several times, and I can spin the rotor. There is just to much rust on the back lip. And its hanging up on that.

You say you were "hitting" it with a hammer. This is wrong. What you do is beat the living hell out of it with a BFH. This is crucial and will get the job done.

Well we did hit it hard enough to bend the rotor, just with that damn shield in back I can't break it lose all around. I can get the rear half of it loose enough since the caliper has the cutout in the shield there.

I finally got it off around 1pm today. I ended up wedging the crowbar between the brake shield and the rotor. I then proceded to whack it with the hammer, breaking that side free past the pads. Then I just had to free it from the bottom.

So my brakes are all done, and working good :p

Back