Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious to see how the Dana 30 is going to hold up, I was leaning towards putting one under my ex. Funny you mention Cherokee's I've had 3 all lifted and wheeled hard, but I have to say id much rather have my Explorer over those cherokee's.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have issues I guess. :D

Good issues in my opinion! :) Was the same way with my 79' Trans Am coundn't leave it alone. Now live 800miles from it so it sees very little drive time. :(

I'm curious to see how the Dana 30 is going to hold up, I was leaning towards putting one under my ex. Funny you mention Cherokee's I've had 3 all lifted and wheeled hard, but I have to say id much rather have my Explorer over those cherokee's.
The shafts are the weak part of the 30 and mostly cause of weak pass side tube. The drivers side rarely breaks. That is why I trussed it. This only temporary until I get a 44 built. But I don't think I will have issues cause I probably won't lock it.
Good issues in my opinion! :) Was the same way with my 79' Trans Am coundn't leave it alone. Now live 800miles from it so it sees very little drive time. :(

LOL yeah my dad always asked why I couldn't leave a vehicle alone. I said you buy new cars pay 30-40k for them. I buy used vehicles for 2-10k and then put money into making them my own. I have less money in my junk then you do in your new car. And mine are a lot more fun cause I get what I want not what some car company gives me. He never asked me about modding my vehicles again. :D

:eek: holly cow, looks like limit straps in your future

One other thing I sent these pics to my wife's step brother who has K5 and told me his Cheby would kick my Fords butt off road. His only response was fix your effing headlights... :D
icon_owned.gif

Welded or bolted to the frame on those sliders?

I welded mine but I made them so they could be bolted I would just have use bigger plate. I put couple tacks on the pinch seam and used 1"x1" angle to fit along the pinch. Just like I build them for Jeeps. I have built a crap load of these for Jeeps. This is my first Ford version.

Passes the hi-lift test...

CIMG0256.jpg

So is it just hooked to the pinch weld or is it welded to the frame as well?

Gman asked me if I welded or bolted them to frame and I answered welded. I did also weld them to pinch seam using a piece of angle that is welded to the legs. I can cut the sliders loose with grinder easily if I ever need to remove them.

Started working on the bumper...

CIMG0258.jpg

I know it was asked I was just curious if you tied it to both since the frame and body flex flex seperate from each other.

is that a stinger but for the sides, meaning when you start to tip the side the frnot bumper hits and...no roll over

I know it was asked I was just curious if you tied it to both since the frame and body flex flex seperate from each other.
It will flex just fine trust me. I spot welded it to the pinch seam mostly to keep from having the sliders slam against my body. I used 1"x2" rectangle tube back to frame there are 3 legs. Then I pushed the rec tube tight against the pinch seam put a piece of angle up there and spot welded angle to the pinch and to the rec tube.
is that a stinger but for the sides, meaning when you start to tip the side the frnot bumper hits and...no roll over
That tube is just laying up there. Not welded. I just set up there so show size tube I am using. I am busting out the tube bender in the morning and getting busy!

Back