Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

To make the stock Merc pressure line work I took the Ranger flare fitting and drilled it out slightly to fit over the Mercs larger Metric tube. Then I used my brake flaring tool to flare the end. I had to pull the box to get it started. After hooking everything back up and filling up reservoir I have power steering. Worked like a champ. And no leaks. Shocks tomorrow.

CIMG0656.jpg

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0659.jpg

Took it down the street a little. Steering works great did a couple 3 point turns. Everything seems to be working real smooth. I found some used shocks for the front for now. Now just have to do the rear shocks. And I take for a little spin. Working up the courage. I drive it little stop and check. Drive it a little more stop and check. LOL

Shocks all hooked up. Thing drives great. Steering is smooth. Took a corner to see how the lean was not bad at all. I am really pleased all my sweat has paid off over the last 2 weeks. Now I just need to get body put back together so I don't get pulled over for no turn signals. LOL

Going to get shafts for the Tcase swap, and fenders also. I ordered a new header panel and headlights. Detroit comes tomorrow. Now that I can drive it getting it in and out of the garage is going to be cake.

might be too late but subscribing

Thanks guys.

Little ticked right now. This guy has been wanting me to regear this 30 in his YJ. And setup a time around 1 today. So I hurry up go to junk yard this morning get some of the stuff I need but hurry and leave cause run couple more errands. I get home 12:45 I get a text from him at 1:06 oh I am not going to make it. WTF!!!!! Grrrr... I could have got my fenders. Such BS.

wow, the way it looked to me when you backed up in the video scared me, i thought the front was about to fall off, what an optical illusion, i expect this thing is strong

wow, the way it looked to me when you backed up in the video scared me, i thought the front was about to fall off, what an optical illusion, i expect this thing is strong

LOL It ain't falling off trust me. If you ever watch a Jeep back up there tires lean in at the top cause the chamber built into the knuckles. I had a brick behind the tire I had to drive over at the begin too. Since the truck is AWD and I don't have the front shaft in it slowly creeps down the driveway if there isn't brick stopping it. :D I just didn't think the AWD would work good with 4.88 front and 3.73 rear. ;)

Never watched one back up, I'm always in the driver seat

Nice build. I do have a question for you. Are your coil springs hitting the frame? In some of your pics it looks like the coils are bowing around the frame. I assume I will see it in person at Moab in May????

Nice build. I do have a question for you. Are your coil springs hitting the frame? In some of your pics it looks like the coils are bowing around the frame. I assume I will see it in person at Moab in May????

Nope they are not hitting. There are no isolators on the top. This was discuses earlier in the thread. All tall coils bow probably less noticeable when they are not red. LOL

Here is a pic. The coil is just kinda moving around as it wants to. I will have the isolators and retainers done soon. I picked up more steel to finish them. Just been busy.
CIMG0672.jpg

Got fenders today. Baby blue...:eek:
CIMG0677.jpg

that thing is beautiful, wow 8) ( idk how to do the eyes popping out face)

Back