Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I couldn't wait any longer. Still have more to do but went ahead and borrowed the Kevlars from the TJ.

CIMG0643.jpg

CIMG0644.jpg

CIMG0645.jpg

CIMG0651.jpg

CIMG0653.jpg

Donig :burnout: would be cool but very expensive and those tires don't look cheap

I just took it for spin with 4.88s, Detroit, and bald 31s. Thing hauls. Tire chirp in 2nd gear. I need a sway bar lol. Comes out of a corner and Detroit locks up and pushes the front corner into the sky. And man this thing rides like cadi over bumps so smooth.
CIMG0683.jpg

CIMG0685.jpg

CIMG0686.jpg

CIMG0688.jpg

Today I will finishing up the Tcase swap. Luckily this year the speedo runs off the rear axle abs sensor. So I am good to go. Even though I have right Tcase for a speed sensor in the tail cone.

As you can see the AWD case on the bottom is tiny compared to F150 BW4406 manual shift case. So I have clearance a few areas for it to fit. The new rear driveshaft uses massive 1350 u joints. So should be able tow with this rig pretty easy. :)

CIMG0624-1.jpg

Gas tank and trans tunnel mod for fitment of that beast. I wish that case was somehow used in all Fords 4x4's stock. Your MPG will be great with that t-case too. Did you get the rear shaft out of an Expedition? What are you using for the front shaft? Sorry if you posted it already.

Yep Expedition rear. Since I am Ford guy and Jeep guy. Going to put together a ******* front shaft. If it works you will see. Just need the case in so I can measure.

I was going to take it for shake down run tomorrow. But my new headlights still have not shown over week now. Kinda pissed.:mad:

Long shaft old Merc rear. The middle is Expedition and tiny one is Jeep Cherokee. Poor Jeep. :D
CIMG0625-1.jpg

Don't know if this has been done(probably has) only thing I could find was using they hybrid 1310 1330 joint. I didn't like the idea of that. So this shaft is from Automatic 4.0 NP231 Jeep Cherokee. It is perfect length. And then I have this yoke for double cardan from a Lincoln MK VII Tbirds. Fits like glove. And no weird U joint to mess with.
CIMG0626-1.jpg

And I will say this installing the case was a ROYAL PITA. Everytime I got it up there was some other thing in the way. LOL My cats I had to strapped over. And the gas tank barely gave me enough room. Thank goodness the truck was on E when I bought it. I had to add couple gallons to get it in the garage when I got it home. I almost went filled it up the other day so glad I didn't. :D

Yeah, most drop the tank in the front, & trim the tank area a bit for clearance. I have also seen someone use a Toyota front half/ Ford rear half slip cv, for the front shaft. If that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

Yeah, most drop the tank in the front, & trim the tank area a bit for clearance. I have also seen someone use a Toyota front half/ Ford rear half slip cv, for the front shaft. If that makes any sense. :rolleyes:

Yeah makes since. I just figured XJ shafts are dime a dozen at the JY and I mostly wheel with Jeep guys so my spare shaft can work for there rigs too. I will probably build a second keep as a spare.

I have thread going on local Jeep site and you can feel the jealousy.:D

Guy was telling me to hurry up cause Moab is two weeks so I posted this...

I know am busting my butt trying to get it done. So I can hit the cruise settle down in to the leather seats and blast through the mountains with the moonroof open, and premium sounds system cranked up, the rumble of small block V8 roaring. It will be rough but I think I will manage...

Response I got...

ya i read that and thought:
ill be criusing listening to the wind coming through the gaps around my doors, the constant downshift of the motor, smelling gear oil and PS fluid, with seats that cant get too comfy cuz of the cage

i do have AC tho

And on another note *******s I ordered my headlights refunded my money today after they sat on it for week. Said the part was out of stock. WTF!!!

Got shafts in. But I am going to have to make some mods to the crossmember since the front shaft is touching it now. And still need to finish the hole in the floor for the shifter.

Back