98 Mountaineer with an A/C seal leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer with an A/C seal leak.

aadwen

Reaction score
City, State
Waco, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer v8
Hi guys, I have a 98 Mountaineer that has developed an ac leak this summer.

The ac went out at the beginning of the summer and these are the steps I have taken so far.

1. Recharge the system, compressor was not kicking on due to lack of pressure, we shorted out the pressure switch to confirm that the compressor was functioning properly, than put in 2 cans of refridgerant.

After step 1, the ac blew cold for a few days before losing enough pressure to stop kicking on.

2. Put in a can of the leak stop stuff, again the car blew cold for a weekish maybe 5 days.

3. Got some DYE last night and put it in the car, did not see dye anywhere but could hear a hissing noise coming out of the front of the compressor after the car was shut off, when we rotated the clutch on the front of the compressor the leak stopped and we were able to get it to start up agian if we moved the clutch again.

From what ive read, this appears to be a shaft seal leak, what do you guys this?

How much $$$ am i looking at here, can the seal be replaced or will i need a new compressor?

Thanks!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the A/C & heater section. I don't know if they sell this seal individually, so you might have to either buy a rebuild kit or another compressor.

I would also like to know as this is the same problem I am having on the same year merc mountaineer

Back