98 mounty V8 Tick

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Hi everyone,

My fiance and i are looking a used 98 mounty with a V8. After driving it i noticed a slight ticking sound when it started up. Under hard accel. you could really hear this ticking sound...could not here at idle. After 5 min of driving it competley went away. Wondering if other V8 owners have this going on at all also. It kinda sounds like a lifter problem, but really have no clue. I will be taking it to an independant mechanic within the next couple days asking for an inspection, just wondering if this may be normal at all.

98 mounty 105,000
V8 AWD leather, CD, Sunroof, loaded everything, asking $6950. Sound like a deal at all

Thanks for all the input!!!

Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like lifters or maybe not enough oil getting to the top end. im not an expert on v8's, but werent those the symptoms of the exhaust manifold problem?

Could it be pinging due to some under grade gas? Not an expert by any means here though. :p

I would guess a exhaust manifold gasket....there known for that.

There's a good chance that it's a crack in the EGR tube. What you're describing is the exact same sound that my 97 Mounty makes. It looks like a hassle to change the tube. I'm having mine replaced by my exhaust guy when he installs a new cat-back system on the Mounty. The tube cost me $54 from Ford and they estimated one hour labor, well their one hour rate is a lot higher than my exhaust guy so he got the nod.
Look on the passenger side of the engine, there is a small flex-tube that comes off of the exhaust manifold and goes to the EGR valve. There are also a couple of small spouts on it that have hoses on them. These seem to develop cracks on either the front or back, mine was visible and the sound went away for a while by patching it with muffler putty and tape. I've heard of these things just falling apart once unbolted. You could maybe change it with a 1 1/8" crow's foot wrench, but I don't have one or I'd tell you how hard it is to change.
BTW, I paid $6500 for my 97 w/102k miles and a 3month/4k mile Ford drivetrain warranty and thought it was a great deal!

It sounds just like mine w/EGR crack. Gonna do something about that one of these days. Once it warms up it stops ticking.
In Aug. 03, W/80K Mi. Pd. $8,000 Check out the operation of the HVAC system. Look for the dreded blend door problem. I got that too.

sry bout the double post, problems with my satellite connection

very helpful guys...thanks!!! This blend door problem that you speak of...what is it, heard of it know it's exspensive, what is it about...

Not 100% certain about this rig, some funny feelings, but need something real soon...thanks

Back