98 ranger 4x4 auto locking hub problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ranger 4x4 auto locking hub problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonwhite33

Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ranger 4x4 xlt
I have a 98 ranger 4x4 that would'nt go into 4wd, the light on the dash would come on and the motor on the transfer case was working properly but the hubs wont engage. Iknow that they are operated using a vacuum so i checked for leaks in hoses and checked to see if i was getting vacuum from the vacuum solenoid. No leaks on hoses and i had vacuum but wasnt sure if it was getting enough to engage the hubs, so i tried putting vacuum directly to the hub and they engaged. Problem is that now they wont disengage even though i take the vacuum off, so now my hubs are locked and the axels and driveshaft turn all the time even though im in 2wd. im afraid that one might disengage while driving and cause damage. What would cause the hubs to stay locked? And where should i start to get this vacuum operated system to work properly? faulty vacuum solenoid? vacuum leak in hub? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No 4 wheel drive

I am having a very similar problem, except I didn't try a direct connect of the vacuum lines and my hubs will not engage. I have replaces the hubs , the solnoid and the electric motor, but still no 4 wheels. I figure it must be a vacuum leak somewhere. Any suggestions?

QUOTE=crimsonwhite33;2074894]I have a 98 ranger 4x4 that would'nt go into 4wd, the light on the dash would come on and the motor on the transfer case was working properly but the hubs wont engage. Iknow that they are operated using a vacuum so i checked for leaks in hoses and checked to see if i was getting vacuum from the vacuum solenoid. No leaks on hoses and i had vacuum but wasnt sure if it was getting enough to engage the hubs, so i tried putting vacuum directly to the hub and they engaged. Problem is that now they wont disengage even though i take the vacuum off, so now my hubs are locked and the axels and driveshaft turn all the time even though im in 2wd. im afraid that one might disengage while driving and cause damage. What would cause the hubs to stay locked? And where should i start to get this vacuum operated system to work properly? faulty vacuum solenoid? vacuum leak in hub? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

You have to remove the vacuum after they lock then apply less to unlock about 5" of vacuum then release that and they unlock.

Steve it sounds like a vacuum leak. remove the line from one of the hubs at the wheel. Put a gauge in it, start the engine, turn switch to 4 HI and check reading. Should be about 8" to go in for 45 seconds then 5" to come out.

I'd swap to the AVM manual locking hubs for that truck. Should solve all those issues ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back