98 SOHC Explorer - Rough idle when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 SOHC Explorer - Rough idle when cold

SparkyGT

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT-4.0 SOHC
My 98 explorer is running real rough when cold, down to freezing temp here now.

What it does is go from about 1500 rpm, then down to 500, and hunts up and down, sometimes stalls out, so i have to play around with the gas pedal to keep it running.

As the temp got colder this got worse over the last few weeks

Heres what i have done so far

1-Cleaned IAC with electronic spray
2-cleaned MAF sensor also
3-checked IAT sensor(the one after the MAF)
4-changed out TPS sensor - on advice from stepbrother
5-no difference with new TPS
6-checked codes with code reader, Lean bank left, and catalyst when i checked book
7-erased codes, new ones showed up Lean bank left, Lean bank right, neither turned on check engine light

the check engine light has come on once, when i plugged in the scanner, the code wasnt there for some reason, or i hit the erase by accident

i will update as soon as i get this thing running better

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

THE FIX

1-Intake gaskets changed
2-Lower intake cracked around oring groove from previous owner, this pulled oring into intake
3-Had new lower intake manifold installed
4-PCM update
5-Plugs changed

Runs great in morning now

( I didnt do this myself as my garage is full with another project and its getting colder and darker earlier for outside work )

Sounds like intake manifold gaskets, common symptom surge when cold when the ambient temperature drops.

Looks like you already cleaned the IAC valve, but my 00 EB had a similar problem idling when cold sometimes and it was fixed when replacing the IAC under my extended warranty.

Fixed, see post #2

Back