'98 SOHC removal. Can I leave T-Case attached? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 SOHC removal. Can I leave T-Case attached?

Justin_

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2-DR Sport 4x4 4.10
Callsign
KJ7IKI
Hey guys. I have an engine that I have been rebuilding and I finally found an explorer to put it in. I just wanted to know if I can remove/replace the engine, transmission, and transfer case as one unit, or do I need to first remove the t-case?

Fortunately I have access to a car hoist and a decent forklift so lifting power and access should not be an issue.

Thanks

Reactions: imp

Hey guys. I have an engine that I have been rebuilding and I finally found an explorer to put it in. I just wanted to know if I can remove/replace the engine, transmission, and transfer case as one unit, or do I need to first remove the t-case?

Fortunately I have access to a car hoist and a decent forklift so lifting power and access should not be an issue.

Thanks
A lot of mass involved, as well as space taken up with the whole works hanging there. Added in, the t-case hangs at a ****-eyed angle. Why would you not remove it first? Easily lowered with a curb jack, or 2 strong arms. Besides, won't you opt to replace the rear main seal: source of future trouble?

you can pull the engine and transmission together
You cannot pull it with the transfer case attached it will not fit out through the frame and engine bay with the t case still hanging there

Back