98 SOHC Rough Idle at Cold Startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 SOHC Rough Idle at Cold Startup

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
I know this stuff has been beat to death..i've just been reading the search pages.

Its only on the first start of the day when its cool out. The colder it is the worse it is. I jsut replaced the IACV, so its not that. The truck has a realyl rough idle surging from 500RPM to 2000rpm. The dome light flickers and it sounds like it has a really lumpy cam in it.

Is it possible my intake gaskets are bad again? They were replaced with my timing chain tensionors, I want to say at around 17k miles. I have 35k now.

Theres no check engine light or anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is entirely possible that the intake o-rings are bad again. Unfortunately the dealerships seem to have a hard time believing in that possibility. You are stuck in a catch-22 situation. If you take it to the dealer and they find something else wrong, they will charge you for diagnosis and repair. Most will start off looking for another source if ONP 00M12 has already been applied. They can diagnose it if the o-rings are leaking. I used propane and my OBD-II scanner to verify that mine were leaking. There are other things that can cause the problem as well from a dirty MAF sensor to an intake leak somewhere between the MAF and engine.

I'm tired of linking this but here you go.

Dead Link Removed

Sounds like a leak to me. Sounds like a two different materials that have shrinking properties in cold weather. Like aluminum and plastic.

Yep, probably the lower intake orings.

Good Luck,
mikeh

thats the thread I was referring to. Looks like I get to fight with my dealer....fun fun fun

Originally posted by mikeh
I'm tired of linking this but here you go.

You should have one of teh moderators put your thread/writup in the Projects Forum.....

Back