• Register Today It's free!

98 sport 5.0 4x4 swap

dwh96

Reaction score
City, State
leetonia ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport
i have a 98 explorer sport i have fixed all rust and swapped in a 5.0 from a donor i have a bw 4406 t-case im attempting to stuff in so i have 4x4 instead of awd im running into problems with the fuel tank and clearance for the case which i expected just looking for a way around it anyone ever put a 4406 in a sport with a 5.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would do the np205 its heavy and low range isn't as low but it is smaller.

doing a 4406 into a sport is no different then the 4 door. only thing is you will have to get a rear drive shaft made. that or if you find one that will fit, post it up. i have had both single front and rear u joint, and d/c front single rear drive shaft in mine (for a d/c rear, find a rear drive shaft from a f150 reg cab short box 97 and up, that was what i used).
also, you might want to check that the pinon angle matches both the transfer case, and diffs.

Ok so it should fit with the gas tank then its also the electronic t case and i believe it plugs in except the speed sensor in the tail shaft i have the wires hanging down for it but the plug is different do i just change the conector to the f150 conector so it plugs in?

If you are using the electric case you will have clearance problems. I thought you have a manual case

Ahhh electric shift is gonna be super tight fit, im going the same route with my v8 sport, I already did the manual 4406 swap in my mountaineer and that gave me a chance to see what i will need to do to make room, im ditching the skid plate and cutting the front tank mount bracket and scooting the tank back a few inches, I already found that the tank will scoot back just fine , and after cutting the front mount down to just what is needed for the tank I will drill new holes to remount it,

I did the same removing the front tank mount and figured I could slide the tank back far enough to clear but figured id check on here first does the wiring all plug in except for the speed sensor?

Back