98 UP Explorer - no automatic interior light coming on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 UP Explorer - no automatic interior light coming on?

twr7cx

Reaction score
City, State
Hobart, Tasmania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XL
I've got a 1998 UP Explorer (it's the bottom of the range pov pack base model - XT?) and no light comes on when any of the doors are opened. Now it has interior roof lights:

The front one the two lights turn on when the switches are turned on.

This rear light never comes on.

Any ideas? Should these lights automatically come on when doors are opened?

The doors clearly have sensors on them that are working to tell when the door is open as the light on the dash illuminates when a door is left open:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the light bulb is busted? Use a voltmeter/multimeter.

So the only interior light that should automatically come on is the rear one in the cargo area? As I know that the 2 light globes in the front interior light are not broken.

When I open/remote unlock the doors on my '98 XLT all three (cabin/back seat/cargo) lights come on. The only exception is if the dimmer at the headlight switch is turned all the way down. Then none of them light :cool:

How long have you owned the truck? Did they all work up until today?

Have you checked the fuses? Are the lamps good?

When I open/remote unlock the doors on my '98 XLT all three (cabin/back seat/cargo) lights come on. The only exception is if the dimmer at the headlight switch is turned all the way down. Then none of them light :cool:

How long have you owned the truck? Did they all work up until today?

Have you checked the fuses? Are the lamps good?

Owned it for a week, bought it mainly just to tow the boat. The interior lights havn't worked at all during that time.

I found a fuse pannel on the right hand side of the dash (side that the steering wheel is on) and poped it open, didn't seem to be marked as to which fuse is for what. I didn't have time to check them all. Any ideas which fuse relates to interior lights?

I've checked and I've got the dash lights dimmer turned all the way up.

I will note that this car doesn't have central locking (keyless entry), or at least no button box thingo came with it.

I had some success today. There was an issue with the rear cargo area light, that's been sorted and now that one automatically comes on with the doors opening, but the front light still doesn't...

BUT have you checked the bulb as suggested.... take the cover off.... then while your at it, get a meter and check for voltage.... you may be surprised at what you may find.

I had some success today. There was an issue with the rear cargo area light, that's been sorted and now that one automatically comes on with the doors opening, but the front light still doesn't...

What was the issue? How did you solve it? You say that the front light still does not come on, is that the cabin light? Or is it the cabin light and the back seat light? Sorry, to help we need full details.

Just to be totally clear here...the image of the dome light you first posted - that light assembly should have three lights in it: two map lights (controlled by each of those two black toggle switches), and then one centre light that acts as the dome light.

The two map lights won't ever turn on with an open door - they're only switched with the toggles. If you pop the lens off, just check to make sure that there's actually a bulb in the centre position. Sounds silly, but that's exactly what was keeping my grandmother's Explorer in the dark for over a year!

That's why people said "check the BULB".... not "check the BULBS".... the "surprise" that he would have got if he had followed the "advice".

But if the centre bulb is missing (and if you didn't know it was supposed to be there), I can see why he would just think that the two map lights should light up when you open the door. Saying "check the BULB" doesn't really tell somebody much if he's working under a wrong assumption.

I may be new to this particular board, but I'm not to auto enthusiast boards in general...I hope I'm just reading your tone wrong, but snarkiness doesn't really help anybody. If I am, I apologize - I'm just trying to help.

That's why people said "check the BULB".... not "check the BULBS".... the "surprise" that he would have got if he had followed the "advice".

Just to be totally clear here...the image of the dome light you first posted - that light assembly should have three lights in it: two map lights (controlled by each of those two black toggle switches), and then one centre light that acts as the dome light.

The two map lights won't ever turn on with an open door - they're only switched with the toggles. If you pop the lens off, just check to make sure that there's actually a bulb in the centre position. Sounds silly, but that's exactly what was keeping my grandmother's Explorer in the dark for over a year!

Hmmm... Interesting. There's actually no bulb in the centre of the front dome light. There's also no where to fit a bulb though! Might pull the entire thing off and see if there is any wiring there. When i saw that there was no other fittings for a third light I assumed that it worked like the Jeep Grand Cherokee where the map reading lights turn on when you open the doors and/or you can turn them on manually.

dam foreign truck models... :) look closely though as the bulb is a "wedge type" (IIRC) and so the socket is just a "slit of a thing". From your picture post, it would appear that perhaps there is a bit of a "bulb burn" on the center plastic area.... maybe.

dude, I pulled mine off the other week to put LED globes in there.
there is a fitting for the globe, its just way inside behind the silver plastic reflector thing. you'll need a t10 globe to go into it. its just a tiny little thing.

its the same bulb as the map lights on the p/side and d/side. so if its bothering you THAT much that you cant wait to go to supercheapauto or ebay. then just pinch one of them lights and put it in there for the mean time.

just be carefull taking the clear light case thing off. as you'll need a screw driver to do it. and if you touch any of the metals in there with the screw driver it will blow the fuse (as mine did)

also check the screws in the fitting.
as these are what ground the wires.

and if all else fails. check the fuse
(highly unlikely, as this is the same fuse for power windows etc)
but its a red 10v i think its about 26 or something on the fuse box on the drivers side.

also, i have a 98 xlt in aus.
so i have exactly the same car :)

Back