98 V8 Ex needs a serious tune up, any advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 V8 Ex needs a serious tune up, any advice?

mrhilgart

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB V8
So after a check engine light brought me down to the nearest shop that wanted to rob me blind (ok to be honest parts weren't too bad, but that high labor cost is way too much for my wallet) I decided to do a little work of my own. Seeing that most of the things listed in the estimate were seemingly minor I want to get my hands dirty and save a little money.

Today: Did a seafoam treatment and replaced the PCV valve (accomplished mostly due to a great thread on this forum), good ol' Ex smoked like a chimney. After my disgusted-head turning ride the Ex already idles a ton smoother. Put about 2/3 of a 16oz can in the PCV hose and the other 1/3 in the gas tank.

This weekend: Plan to do an ignition tune up (new spark plugs and wires, new ignition coils), replace the fuel filter, replace the air filter, and do an oil change.

Beyond these measures does anybody have advice/experiences that would help the old Ex continue running strong? I appreciate any input and know that this forum will have plenty to offer (can't wait).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running strong....? SUPERCHARGE IT!!!
Haha, just kidding. Glad you've found those helpful threads. Besides those things you mentioned, I can't think of much else under the hood to help keep it running strong. Maybe a coolant flush, just cause you're doing everything else under there. Changing the brake fluid if it hasn't been done in a while could help some just for general braking and for knowing that they're gonna stop your Ex. Check gaskets on the engine for any leaks (I know my valve cover gaskets used to have a leak). And see if any pulleys are sorta wobbly. I had to change of couple of mine cause they were wobbly and rattled sometimes. Other than that, your plan sounds good. Your Ex will be happy :D

Running better already, I expect it to turn over a little better after doing to electrical stuff.

There is definitely an exhaust leak off the passenger manifold or possibly EGR valve/hoses as some of the seafoam smoke was coming from that side but couldn't tell exactly where. I also get a ticking from that area every time I accelerate (not while idling or while revving while braked). I know both of these areas are problematic with explorers around my year by this point (14 years old and probably never fixed up until I got my hands on it).

Definitely going to check into a coolant flush as a preventative measure and probably a necessity due to lack of knowledge about the previous owner.

It may be old, but its the first car I've owned and I'll make her last...

It may be old, but its the first car I've owned and I'll make her last...

That's exactly how I feel about mine. First vehicle, it's gonna last for a while. I'll make sure of that.

And yes, the electrical replacements will really help, or so I've come to understand. I have a list on my desk of things to do, and those are still on it :( Not flowing in much cash at the moment.

By the way, which part of Florida do you live in? We're trying to find all the Florida guys on here. Check out the thread :) http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365747

That ticking could be a manifold crack/leak, the egr pipe cracked/leaking, the egr itself cracked or leaking, or the egr pressure differential hoses leaking. Start from the egr itself and carefully listen with a stethoscope or extension or screwdrive. Then check for two pressure differential hoses for bad seating, burns, or leaks. The check your egr tube for cracks or leaks. If its nothing from there, then its likely a manifold leak. That's a whole different can of worms. An assistant to give it a bit of gas helps. Even if you can't hear it from the drivers seat, you should be able to hear it while giving it gas and listening right there. Mine was just the pressure differential hoses, but check everything to be sure.

thanks obie, gives me a good breakdown of the process (admittedly lost). going to get through the inspection this weekend when I can have my girl push the pedals, hoping its just a hose and not the manifold, I can already tell that it would be a serious pain if the manifold is the culprit.

had the shop test the coils, they weren't giving consistent resistance. i'm thinking it may be the reason it sometimes takes a second or two after turning the key for the engine to start (not completely sure).

suggestions?

Back