City, State
Marion, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
As I was rounding a corner & applying the gas, my '98
hesitated just for a split second. This is the second time
it's done it. It reminds me of the old vehicles w/carbs,
ya know how the choke would stick a bit? It's got 55,000
mi.s (I've only put 7800mi 2nd owner)- tune-up time?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what engine? it hesitated when you stepped on the gas or were you on the gas the whole time and it just did it?

My '97 XLT SOHC has done something that sounds similar about 10 times in the (almost) 6 years we've owned it. It only happens after a long (1 hour+) run in excess of 70mph. When getting off the interstate, I roll to the top of the ramp, wait, hit the gas, it accelerates normally for a second, then hesitates, then continues accelerating again no problem. It has only done it to me in teh circumstances described above, but I don't pull out in front of people unless I have PLENTY of room! I have no idea what it is, but it's not severe enough or consistant enough to warrant my doing anything about it. Good luck.
-twylie

98FordX2,
Sorry, I have the 4.0 SOHC. And it does it when re-
appling the gas. It just kinda sent a red flag up, darn
computer controled engines (except maybe race engines). Should I go see my smiling Quality One mech-
anic & get a diagnostic test ($90.00)? Thanks again.

There is a TSB or recall on that. When the tranny is in O/D for long periods of time and you slow down fairly quick and step on the gas again it has a problem shifting back to first. The dealership will reprogram the PCM with an update that will take care of the problem.

i've had a similar problem, but it's only happened once. i was flying up interstate 65(almost late for work), got off an exit ramp w/ an uphill ramp, and stopped at a stop sign. i puched the gas again to take off and it took right off, long enough to make a 90degree turn, then it hesitated for a second and continued normally.

i was only on the interstate for about 10min, driving for about 15min total. btw, i have the 4.0 ohv

When this happened (both times) I was under 35 mph.
I've never experience this "problem" on the highway. I'll
ask/tell my mechanic about the TSB/Recall & see what they will do. I also need to ask them when they want
to do the cam tensioner & chain gig! Thanks.

OneShotBandit - It doesn't have to be coming down from highway speeds to have it happen. The TSB states that it can happen when slowing down from 45 MPH. I had my '97 SOHC reprogrammed two years ago when it had about 50K miles on it and haven't had the hesitation since. Ford covered mine under the PCM warranty of 80K miles so it didn't cost me anything. I'll post the TSB at the end. Regarding the camshaft tensioners, if you are under 72K miles, Ford will replace them under warranty if they verify that they are bad. If over the mileage limit or your dealer doesn't believe they are bad expect to pay anywhere from $300 - $600. It all depends on how bad they want to stick it to you. Here is the TSB for the hesitation I had Ford perform on mine:

PCM - Harsh Downshift From 3-1/Hesitates/Lacks Power
Article No.
99-8-7

^ HARSH DOWNSHIFT - FROM 3RD-TO-1ST GEAR
WHILE STOPPING - VEHICLES WITH 4.0L OR 5.0L
ENGINE

^ HESITATION - AFTER ACCELERATION FROM
STOP - VEHICLES WITH 4.0L OR 5.0L ENGINE

^ LACK OF POWER - AFTER ACCELERATION FROM
STOP - VEHICLES WITH 4.OL OR 5.OL ENGINE

LIGHT TRUCK:
1997-1999 EXPLORER, MOUNTAINEER

CALIBRATION
7-54G-R13, 7-57B-R10, 7-57R-R10, 7-58B-R10, 7-58C-R11, 7-58R-R05, 7-58V-R11, 8-54G-R05, 8-54U-R05, 8-57B-R05, 8-57R-R05, 8-58B-R05, 8-58C-R10, 8-58R-R05, 8-58V-R10, 9-NEA-BAF

WARNING THIS MODIFICATION IS AUTHORIZED ONLY FOR THE LISTED ENGINE(S). PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION ON OTHER ENGINE CALIBRATIONS IS UNAUTHORIZED AND COULD CREATE LIABILITY UNDER APPLICABLE FEDERAL OR LOCAL LAWS.

ISSUE
The vehicle may have one or all of the following symptoms:

^ After vehicle comes to almost a complete stop (approximately 5 km/h (3 mph)) and then accelerates, the transmission may still be in 3rd gear which may cause a perceived lack of power.

^ After vehicle comes to almost a complete stop (approximately 5 km/h (3 mph)), a harsh 3rd-to-1st gear downshift occurs.

^ After a long highway drive followed by a complete stop, a quick acceleration by the customer may result in a perceived lack of power.

^ Acceleration from a stop (city driving) may cause a hesitation.

These concerns may be caused by Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration strategy.

ACTION
Reprogram the PCM using New Generation Star (NGS) or Service Bay Diagnostic System (SBDS).

Thanks Robert, very interesting. I'll try & get a printout
& show the smiling Quality One mechanic. I do get the
"infamous diesel " / loose marble sound in the mornings
and first start ups, Thanks again!

Hey Guy's i have been having this problem on and off for the past 3 years but Ford Aus have never understood my explanation and i have only just stumbled across this thread now so my question is: IF I PRINT OUT THE CALIBRATION SETTINGS THAT ROBERT HAS POSTED ABOVE AND GIVE THAT TO FORD AS THEY PROBABLY WON'T HAVE IT FROM THE STATES SO ARE THEY EXACT SETTING'S I WILL BE SO HAPPY TO GET THAT FIXED EVEN THOUGH I WILL BE PAYING 1 HOUR LABOUR FOR IT???
7-54G-R13, 7-57B-R10, 7-57R-R10, 7-58B-R10, 7-58C-R11, 7-58R-R05, 7-58V-R11, 8-54G-R05, 8-54U-R05, 8-57B-R05, 8-57R-R05, 8-58B-R05, 8-58C-R10, 8-58R-R05, 8-58V-R10, 9-NEA-BAF

And also how long will it take to reprogram as i am paying for FORD labour by the hour thanks?

mine has done this also about 3-4 times in the last 2 y ears or so.

robert, if i have ford fix this, will i have to do anything with my superchip? will it need to be reflashed, or will my "stock ecu program" be affected, or will it be perfectly fine and i can leave it alone? im assuming i should take the chip out before i have ford fix this? i only ask you specifically because you pretty much know the answer to just about every obscure question ever asked about these trucks :D )

Im also from Australia and have had the same problem at least a dozen or so times. Ford dont seem to know anything about it. Let me know how you get on using those codes.

OZEXPLORER

Wher in Aus are you from???
I will let you know as soon as it's done but i just want to know how long it should take to reprogram the PCM and if the calibration codes the robert posted are exact so that ford don't F*#K me over.
So if anyone knows how long it ussually takes to recalibrate the PCM please let me know???????
and if the codes posted are corect?????

Im from Sydney. Its interesting to talk to other Aussies regarding problems with their ex ( the 4X4 that is). I have done nearly 150 000km in my ex and touch wood have had no major problems.

Back