98 xlt headlight/dash light issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 xlt headlight/dash light issues

agonz91

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho ;)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
here are the problems... the left part of my dash lights are out, the lights for the gas gauge and other gauge next to it. everything from the speedometer to the far right of the dash lights up. my next problem is my left head light is dimmed a lot. ive checked the fuses on the inside of the door, and none of them were blown. idk what is wrong w/ it... and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nothing? :(

A really dim light is usually, but not always, the sign of a poor ground, or no ground at all. You're going to have to trace some wires.

I have no idea on the dash lights.

Illumination bulbs in dash (there are 6 #194 bulbs) burn out over time, as do indicator bulbs. First thing to look at.

Instrument cluster bulbs need replaced and look real good at the connector at the headlight bulb. The wiring can get hot/melted and cause dimmimg issues. It could be bad ground.

well the bulb on the headlight is fine but i did check the voltage of the 3 ports where the prongs from the bulbs plug into and 2 of the 3 ready 12v and the other sits around 2v so im wondering if maybe one of the harness wires was damaged some how?

bobflood: thanks i will check those out!

Back