• Register Today It's free!

98 XLT wierd when starting

rollin900

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok here goes. I am not much of a mechanic, so i dont really know how to tell you everything, but i will do my best. Drove home one day, everything fine. Tried to start next day, nothing. It was like the battery was dead. So, went and got a jump, started right up. Let it run for about 2 hours, everything fine. Turned it off, and imediately would not start again. This time I bought a new battery, and nothing again. It is like the new battery was dead too. When i try and start, sometimes there is tons of clicking, sometimes nothing at all. When i turn the key on and let it sit, sometimes the power comes on full, and then when i try to start, nothing. Will not even turn over once. I tried to trace the clicking sound, and it sounded like it was coming from the relay in the fusebox under hood. What does this do, i dont know. Anyone ever heard of this problem? What else could i tell you to help you help me?

TATIA,

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rollin900 said:
Ok here goes. I am not much of a mechanic, so i dont really know how to tell you everything, but i will do my best. Drove home one day, everything fine. Tried to start next day, nothing. It was like the battery was dead. So, went and got a jump, started right up. Let it run for about 2 hours, everything fine. Turned it off, and imediately would not start again. This time I bought a new battery, and nothing again. It is like the new battery was dead too. When i try and start, sometimes there is tons of clicking, sometimes nothing at all. When i turn the key on and let it sit, sometimes the power comes on full, and then when i try to start, nothing. Will not even turn over once. I tried to trace the clicking sound, and it sounded like it was coming from the relay in the fusebox under hood. What does this do, i dont know. Anyone ever heard of this problem? What else could i tell you to help you help me?

TATIA,

Nick
Sounds like your alternator my not be charging, or the starter solenoid is going bad. Not sure on explorers, but I know the bigger trucks, f-150s, broncos had starter solenoids on the fender. This still seems to hold true. Its worth a try, 7 bucks from advance auto, part number ss94. Also good for snowplow relays.

Dan

Check your terminals for corrosion. Also once you get it started, remove the negative terminal, if it stalls, then your alternator is bad. Also you might want to consider getting your starter checked out and replace the starter solenoid on the drivers fenderwell. Also do a fuel pressure check to see how much pressure is on the line.. You can get a pressure guage for the fuel system at any parts store.. Just simply plug it into the port on the fuel rail.

Blee1099 said:
Check your terminals for corrosion. Also once you get it started, remove the negative terminal, if it stalls, then your alternator is bad. Also you might want to consider getting your starter checked out and replace the starter solenoid on the drivers fenderwell. Also do a fuel pressure check to see how much pressure is on the line.. You can get a pressure guage for the fuel system at any parts store.. Just simply plug it into the port on the fuel rail.
I really dont recommend disconnecting the battery terminal while the motor is running. It can send a huge surge of power through the wires and fry everything. Get a $20 multimeter from the store and check to see what the voltage is at the battery with the motor running. Should be about 14 volts or so.

Dan

It won't hurt it if you do it for a short period of less than 5 seconds..

Back