'99 4.0 Ex Stalled often now dead,fuel prob? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 4.0 Ex Stalled often now dead,fuel prob?

Brewster Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Clemson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4.0 EddieBauer 4X4
Recently my car started sputtering then stalled out on start up. When this didn't happen it would start up fine and then the engine would just cut off while I was driving. I have read some posts on this and have done the following things:
replaced fuel filter
checked TPS-it was fine
checked and cleaned MAF
I replaced the fuel pump relay and the car worked fine for a day then started acting up again.
I then checked fuel pressure with a gauge and my pressure was at 62psi which is too high. So I then surmised it was a broken fuel pressure regulator. I went to crank the car up again to try and get home but the car wouldn't start. The engine still turns over but doesn't even try to start up. I checked the fuel pressure again and now I am not getting ANY. please help with what else I should test to find what is wrong?

When you turn the key to "on", before turning all the way to start, pause and make sure you hear the fuel pump whine. Pump should make sound for about 2-3 seconds. If you don't hear a sound, either the relay is bad or the fuel pump is shot.

Back