• Register Today It's free!

99 4.0 sohc problem

99sportfl

Reaction score
City, State
Cocoa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Bought my 99 Sport, it has 140,000 on it and it didn't have a lot of get up and go or gas mileage. I pulled the intake, cleaned the fuel injectors, replaced the IAC, EGR valve and EGR gasket in the upper intake, and replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets. Ran a few days and then wouldn't run worth a darned.
Take two, pulled the intake, changed the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body, and put another upper gasket set in (just in case), replaced the thermostat housing, thermostat, and temp sensors (had a leak). Ran good for a couple days and got a code for #6 misfire.
Take three, replaced fuel injectors with refurbished set, new fuel filter, new spark plug wires, spark plugs (OEM), replaced lower intake gaskets (torqued to spec), cleaned MAF, recleaned throttle body,new air filter,new pulley tension assy., new belt, a bottle of seafoam in the tank, new throttle body gaskets. First I got a reading for the heat sensor, so I disconnected the battery, checked the connection, connected the battery. Ran great, idled great,good power for three days. Went out to start it this evening but wouldn't start. It eventually started after holding gas pedal to the floor and cranking until it finally started (weak at first but smoothed out within a few seconds). It ran smooth holding it at 2-3,000 rpm, let off gas, it idled fine for a couple of minutes and died. repeated above with same result... Not sure where to go from here, oh, no check engine light.. Ideas?

Did you check the battery connections? How old is the battery?

Back