• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0 AWD 4R70W - Tranny Swap

sssss70

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I have a 99 5.0 AWD, Tranny has the torque converter shudder and has for a while, the other day my OD Off light started flashing at first start then would go after it warmed up. Tranny shifts into all 4 gears just fine, converter does lock up. I added a tube of Dr. Tranny and today the light never flashed. Regardless, I think I'm destined for a rebuild. I was wondering if a 4R70W from a 2000 Crown Vic Interceptor would work as a replacement. I just happen to have a good one laying around. Not sure about the 5.0 .vs 4.6 Bell housing OR if the tails shaft will mate to the transfer case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, you COULD take the internals from the CV trans, and put them into your X trans...

But if you are doing that, why bother ruining 2 transmissions...and just rebuild yours.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan; sounds like what you are saying is the Crown Vic tranny is NOT a direct replacement for the Exploder. Kind of what I figured, but needed a definitive answer.

Thanks Ryan; sounds like what you are saying is the Crown Vic tranny is NOT a direct replacement for the Exploder. Kind of what I figured, but needed a definitive answer.

What hes saying is, the Crown Vic has a 4.6l with a different bolt pattern then the 5.0l. So, no its not a direct swap.

Correct....

The 4.6L DOES NOT have the same transmission bellhousing bolt pattern as the 5.0L SBF.

Ryan

Back