• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0 into a 97 5.0

smcgee1979

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 5.0 AWD
I recently purchased a 97 xlt 5.0 and it needs an engine. I can get a 5.0 from a 99 with 5 miles on it. anyone know of any issues with the swap. I'm supposed to go get it on saturday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several
you will need to swap over the fuel rails and injectors, as the fuel system is different.
You will also need to swap out the cam position sensor--97 has a 3 pin sensor-99 has a 2 pin IIRC

There also may be a few other issues-especially if your 97 has an internal egr system, as the 99 has an external egr system with an egr tube in the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I have a hard time swallowing a 99 engine with 5 miles on it. That's a doozy right there. I am not saying it isn't possible but hmmm, yeah.

Several
you will need to swap over the fuel rails and injectors, as the fuel system is different.
You will also need to swap out the cam position sensor--97 has a 3 pin sensor-99 has a 2 pin IIRC

There also may be a few other issues-especially if your 97 has an internal egr system, as the 99 has an external egr system with an egr tube in the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I have a hard time swallowing a 99 engine with 5 miles on it. That's a doozy right there. I am not saying it isn't possible but hmmm, yeah.

I have the external egr system on the 97. the fuel rails and injectors shouldn't be that difficult to swap and the cam sensor isnt a big deal either.

Here is the link.
Tell me what you think. I'm still not 100% sure that im going to get it. I guess it depends on what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...l1313&_nkw=230501900703&_sacat=&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

Are the issues with the '97 engine so bad that it is not fixable? imp

Yeah spun bearing. but i figured for 700 bucks for the motor and a day or two of my time is cheaper than messing with the one from the 97.

I got the motor today. Everything is clean as a whistle. there is very little rust on the block but i guess thats just from sitting. I can't wait to put it in.

ok so after a bunch of problems which are out of my control, i finally get the motor out. but the manual calls to take the exhaust off. well i cant get to it all. so i take the manifolds from the motor which works good until i get to pull the actual motor and then i get snagged on the mount brackets. what a b$#tch. I got it out but how in the hell do you get to the bolt under the mount. it shows a clear picture in the book but there aint no clear picture when you look at it. the front rear is in the way. any tips on putting the motor back in. gonna work on it in the am. other than that its going good.

Alright. Motor is in, bolted to trans. Should be running by the end of the weekend. Hopefully everything goes well from here on out.

motor has been in for over 800 miles now. no problems. glad i went and pick this one up!!

Back