99 5.0awd to 2wd 5-speed swap info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0awd to 2wd 5-speed swap info

new99-5.0

Reaction score
City, State
edgewood 'md
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 5.0
I have a 99 5.0 awd auto ex and would like to take all the awd stuff. I'd like to put a t-5 5speedtrans and convert it to rwd. I have a explorer peddle setup.or what automatic transmission would I use If I go auto. Thanks Clayton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 5.0 awd auto ex and would like to take all the awd stuff. I'd like to put a t-5 5speedtrans and convert it to rwd. I have a explorer peddle setup.or what automatic transmission would I use If I go auto. Thanks Clayton

Either transmission change will confound the computer. Do you like living with flashing warnings on your instrument panel?

I do not know of a T-5 which does not use a slip-joint U-joint connection, which would mean driveshaft alteration to use a T-5. If you are serious about a 5-speed manual, why not go with the proper one as used in so-equipped Explorers? The retrofit to manual trans probably would not make all that much difference to the AWD computer, but, if you went to the correct '99 auto trans, it would not work at all, since it is electronically shifted, both in initial engagement gear selection, and in shifting while driven.

If your present auto trans works properly, why not save all the headaches and keep it? Remove the transfer case, replace the trans. extension housing with one for 2WD, get the correct length driveshaft, if yours is too short (likely), and yer done.

Finally, the 5.0L-AWD setup is a pretty good, long-lasting piece of machinery, and provides reliable 4WD operation for great traction. Why throw that away? imp

I do not No much about the transmission stuff. I liked my mustang drivetrain and thought it would be a cool swap. If I could get more information on the awd to 2wd swap with the transmission that's in there that would be great.like what parts I need for the tailshaft swap? Thanks Clayton

I do not No much about the transmission stuff. I liked my mustang drivetrain and thought it would be a cool swap. If I could get more information on the awd to 2wd swap with the transmission that's in there that would be great.like what parts I need for the tailshaft swap? Thanks Clayton

...... If I could get more information on the awd to 2wd swap with the transmission that's in there that would be great.like what parts I need for the tailshaft swap? ...........

The easiest way to achieve what you want, that is, 2WD, would be to remove your front driveshaft. Nothing else need be done. If you insist on re-making the vehicle, as I described in my third paragraph above, you would need to find out:

1. Did 2WD Explorer of your year with auto trans have a different length transmission output shaft than 4WD. If NO, (A) proceed to replace the present trans-to-transfer case housing with 2WD housing, then tackle driveshaft length issue. If YES, then replace 4WD trans. output shaft with 2WD trans output shaft. To do that, you will need to remove and disassemble the entire transmission to remove and replace it's output shaft; then proceed as in (A) as above.

2. If you tackle the above, you will need to remove the front driveshaft completely anyway, so you may want to continue this madness to include removal of the front differential and drive axles; this would eliminate a bit of "parasitic" drag and up the fuel economy by a few percent.

3. I am now swerving away from this thread, unless reasonably sincere intent is shown to learn about, and do some, mechanical alterations. Dreaming is fine for children; it molds them into adults. Once molded, more realistic courses should be approached in life.

imp ;)

wow

Wow thanks for that 3rd part.my 2nd post and I get the biggest ass clown of them all.let me tell you that there are alot of worst things on this forum being done to these trucks then what I would like to do. So go piss them all off so We can all think about kicking your ass you ####!!!!!

Wow thanks for that 3rd part.my 2nd post and I get the biggest ass clown of them all.let me tell you that there are alot of worst things on this forum being done to these trucks then what I would like to do. So go piss them all off so We can all think about kicking your ass you ####!!!!!

It's because most of his info is wrong anyway. The correct way would be swap in a 98-01 2wd auto trans and correct drive shaft. Then remove front drive line and replace spindles with 2wd ones. No computer changes are needed

Onto the 5 speed swap...... A T5 is only good to about 350hp, put that behind a 4000lb suv with a few mods and you will destroy it.

Few have done a 5 speed swap from a F150 with success so that is an option

The intermediate shaft is different from 2wd to 4x4 in the transmission so you can't just swap the tail shafts.

Oh and if you remove the front driveshaft on an AWD, the truck will still roll in park so set your parking brake.

1st off... Dont "just remove your from driveshaft", with the Exs AWD system, park WILL NOT WORK correctly and your truck can roll away while your not there.

2nd.. The trans can not be converted to 2wd by just swapping tail shaft housings. You need to completely disassemble the trans and swap the tail shaft.

Note to self: I shouldnt start responding, stop to eat dinner, then finsh responding. Everything I have to say gets said in that time frame.

Know what? Could be wrong, but I think you're a dreamer. Go ahead, if you really mean to, and modify your truck. But please do show the results here on the forum.

Keep in mind that outbursts to criticism, no matter how rough, indicate a less than mature attitude. And if you insist, it won't be the first time I'm ass-kicked! :( imp

I was really not trying to start stuff. What I would really like to do is swap the truck to 2wd and put in 5speed . I have a nice 347 to go in it but don't want the awd. I will figure it out and post my results. Thanks

I was really not trying to start stuff. What I would really like to do is swap the truck to 2wd and put in 5speed . I have a nice 347 to go in it but don't want the awd. I will figure it out and post my results. Thanks

Credit due where deserved: I apologize to you, then. Just wanted to be sure the legitimate folks are not being cheated of their time by trolls.

Sorry it took pi$$ing you off to establish good intentions. imp

Back