$99 AAMCO Transmission Flush Questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$99 AAMCO Transmission Flush Questions

I would do it if it is under 45k miles but not afterwards. Especially when you hit the 60k and up range, your better off not changing it. As long as you start early it will be just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett Browning said:
Here's my write up that I use for myself to remind me how to do it:

Thanks Rhett - that is an awesome writeup. However now I REALLY want to pay to have it done!

What tranny do I have in a 2000 XLT 5.0 AWD? All that was listed on the www.bulkpart.com was:

Explorer 1991-94 A4LD
Explorer 1995-98 4R44E/4R55E

The tranny flush is so simple that it hurts...

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 20 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

Would like to add two things. The transmision can be overfilled by 2-3 quarts. There is a lot of empty space in the transmission. I saw a Ford procedure that said you could put over six in. At highway speeds this would create a lot of foam, but at idle it is not a problem. This will allow you to easily pump out over 3 quarts without running the pump dry and do fewer engine stops. The use of silicone should be generaly avoided on gaskets. What beads out will get in the valves. Gaskets are often wound up in the box. Lay these out flat a day ahead. Petroleum jelly or dabs of grease will hold the gasket on the pan.

Sorry Al, I though you mentioned something about changing the filter also. That requires the pan drop.

My procedure is a pan drop, filter and gasket change, and pan drop. Al's is for a flush only, and the flush itself is easy and clean and can be done in 20 minutes like he said. The pan drop and filter change is what is messy and long.

Good point about not using RTV or silicone to hold the gasket in place. The last several times I have done this, I have gotten good enough at it to not need anything to hold the gasket in place. When I wasn't good at it, I would only put a tiny dot on one corner to hold it in place. One dot never seemed to bother things.

Now I recommend a new technique, and that is to stick one or two of the pan bolts thru the holes in the pan with the new gasket on top. This allows you to get under there and position the pan for re-install, and the best part is, the gasket can't move with 2 bolts in place.

Al

Do you still have a filter in your automaitc transmission too. If so how oftem do you change it?

Tarron said:
Do you still have a filter in your automaitc transmission too. If so how oftem do you change it?

I looked at it at 50k miles and it looked like new as well as did the inside of the pan; I have never looked again.

Especially when you hit the 60k and up range, your better off not changing it. As long as you start early it will be just fine.

Why should a higher mileage explorer not do a tranny flush?

aldive said:
The tranny flush is so simple that it hurts...

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 20 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

How much did it cost you for materials?

Con Seann3ry said:
Why should a higher mileage explorer not do a tranny flush?

They say it dislodges the gunk and redeposits it passage ways and blocks it. With Al's way the tranny is under normal pressure and will not move any of the gunk. Its much safer. Stay away from pressure flushes.

Mileage too high?

My 95XLT has 128k on it...Are you saying that I should just leave the transmission fluid alone and not replace it?

The previous, original owner took immaculate care of it before I bought it but I'm just trying to ensure that it continues to be taken care of. The tranny isn't giving me any problems, I just figured that it would be good for the truck to have it done. Please advise.

Thanks!

I worked at a tranny shop this summer and they said that sometimes a tranny flush on higher milage trannys will dislodge the debris from fiberline clutches inside the trans and that the debris is really only what is holding the clutches together. Once its flushed all out they slip. So just be careful. Also most places wont drop the pan and change the filter unless specifically stated to do so. In order to keep my trans warrenty intact i have to service every 12-14k miles. However, I get those for free because I worked there. :chug:

aldive said:
The price of a K&N filter and 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

In $$$ if you don't mind me asking.

spta97 said:
In $$$ if you don't mind me asking.

Amsoil ATF list $7.80/quart or $117.00
K&N filter $11,00

$128.00 but I don't pay list

I suppose I don't have to run the risk of ruining it with a flush, but do you think it would be wise to put in a new filter at least?

If I were flushing, and had never changed the filter since I owned the truck, I would change the filter and o-rings and gasket. Just for piece of mind. That way, I would know that I would be running a new filter, new o-rings, and new gasket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just drop the pan and take the drainplug out of the torque converter with the front wheels on ramps... this gets all but about a quart of it including that which is in the cooler lines if you let it set overnight.... then i put it all back together and dump in 13 quarts of fresh mercon....i do change the filter also....and my pan has a reusable rubber gasket.... no more cork nonsense

Back