'99 e.b. 4.0L SOHC clattering engine noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 e.b. 4.0L SOHC clattering engine noise

POSH - If you ordered the tensioners new, did you order them for your year of the X or for a '00+? The 2 new tensioners you used were both metal? even the RH tensioner? If so it sounds that Ford updated the RH tensioner to metal as well, but it is not covered under the recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes both tensioners were metal and there was a flow reducer for the oil line,
I'm not sure what year, the kit came with the moonlighting Ford mechanic...
Even so the swap came too late, other bits and pieces were buggered...
the new tensioners put more tension and the other worn bits got toasted...

There are hundreds of thousands of the SOHC running around and either they have undiagnosed cam cassette problems or they will. The oM fixes took care of the worst and furd is gambling on the rear cassette running until out of warranty. I'm unsure but I was told by a furd tech that these problems were not really addressed properly until the 02 models and that the replacement parts are 02 versions. This maybe part of the reason furd had a 19% loss in sales this year, this will be the last furd I ever own.

amessie, did you auction off a set of tools for the cam work. It sold for about $150, if so, congratulations for only spending $30 total to use them.

I will talk to my Ford mechanic, and ask him if all of this sounds right. I expect that he will, and I will be looking at the 2002+ parts. Thanks for the help, most of these SOHC threads just touch on symptoms, not this important cause stuff.
Regards,
DonW

Does anyone recall what the cam cassettes cost? I checked today at Ford, and the two that they listed were just over $60 each. This included two gears, a chain, and the guides which the chain rides in. These guides were plastic lined, I think they were the later design.
Don

You guys have been GREAT! Don't believe mine was part of the recall. POSH, what did it cost?

or you can be lucky like me and the dealership tell you that tey will just replace the engine with a "new" reman one for you. my cost was $300 for the oil, plugs, wires, thermostat and new hood shocks. ford ate the $3000+ in parts and labor. damn the luck. oh then they forgot to hook up the alternator, fried it, and bought me a new one of those too! hey, i'm Irish!!!!!! must be me lucky charms

My parts I got down here in latino land from a Ford part reseller and ran around 450 USD for the 4 chain kits, and tensioners. I paid a Ford mechanic on holiday 100usd for the work,
it was an engine out job and took a day, a lot of the internal chain guides were split and broken.

The engine runs sweet now,

just the dicky 4WD low problem to solve,
the bottom swivle joints loose in the lower swinging arm
The clacking noise cornering from the rear dif
etc etc

Back