99 Explorer 4.0 ohv hydrolocking & fuel pump pressure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 4.0 ohv hydrolocking & fuel pump pressure?

I have an Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge on my A pillar to monitor fuel pressure on my 99 and I can tell you it has run on 30 psi of fuel pressure...It wasn't happy as acceleration was lousy but it would go under light throttle...I could also tell when the fuel filter was clogging up with rust by watching the pressure drop down...As it dropped below 40-50 psi, I knew the filter was in need of being changed...Now that was with the old tank...With the new tank, I don't have that problem...Nothing but very clean fuel and 65 + psi when the engine is running now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I am certain it was running at 32 psi(See the video in the link above). I also confirmend that with a gauge from AutoZone that read the exact same preassures.

The other day I had to "get into it" and exactly as ranger7ltr said it didn't want to go anywhere. I preaty much knew what the problem with that was.

So anyways, I just started it up an hour ago after replacing the fuel pump assembly (gas gauge drop to empty at 1/4 tank.) Gas tank (nipple for filler hose rusted off a couple years ago and was epoxied back on but would leak when filling) and filler tube because it was rotted out also, as I suspected that all fell apart when I started to remove it.)

So, I am VERY VERY HAPPY to report that I am at a solid 65psi now. :) :) Just as impressive this is the first time I've seen my short term fuel trims go negative and first time I've seen my long terms start to drop from being pegged at 25% (Using forscan to monitor.) Soo hopefully this took care of that issue. Won't know for sure until the next 85-90+ degree day and I run a route but am feeling very confident this probably solved it.

Speaking of which, have to he up in 5 hours to run/cover a new route, first time on my own for this one. Am really excited about it. Am also running another 14 day straight without a day off! I love love love it and the checks are awesome. Next check will be new exhaust and fan clutch/fan blade.

Well done. Drive it for a short bit before putting it on a route, say a day or two commuting. Double check all fluid levels, lights etc, and make sure you have all the supplies you could need. I carry an air pump, tire repair kit, extra oil and distilled water etc.

I'm about to get to my back brakes again, one old rotor won't come off. I'm going to cut it off this time, so I can put the new rotor and pads on it. Some jobs don't go as planned, you just keep at it until you get it right.

I hear ya on that one! Lol
Anyways I just wanted to send an update. Today was the first day that Ive been able to run the route with a 'hot' day. The hi temp was 93 (real feel of 99 i think it said) and I was able to run it hard. Didn't miss a beat once!!! So I can say with certainty that was the issue and that it's resolved now. My PM/Supervisor are just as happy i think lol.

However I discovered a new issue developed. My ac isn't near as cool as it used to be and it was a really bad day to discover that lol. I didn't have any time to hook my manifold gauges up to it but the compressor was acting like it normally does as far as cycling goes.

Didn't I read about an issue these were known to have with the blend door? Any quick way to check that? I'm on day 13 without a day off so far so and they keep scheduling me for more! I'll take every bit of it lol. Needless to say I have had very little time to do much of anything.

I hear ya on that one! Lol
Anyways I just wanted to send an update. Today was the first day that Ive been able to run the route with a 'hot' day. The hi temp was 93 (real feel of 99 i think it said) and I was able to run it hard. Didn't miss a beat once!!! So I can say with certainty that was the issue and that it's resolved now. My PM/Supervisor are just as happy i think lol.

However I discovered a new issue developed. My ac isn't near as cool as it used to be and it was a really bad day to discover that lol. I didn't have any time to hook my manifold gauges up to it but the compressor was acting like it normally does as far as cycling goes.

Didn't I read about an issue these were known to have with the blend door? Any quick way to check that? I'm on day 13 without a day off so far so and they keep scheduling me for more! I'll take every bit of it lol. Needless to say I have had very little time to do much of anything.

When you start the vehicle from dead cold, if you get cold A/C that then begins to warm as the engine warms up your blend door isn't closed or perhaps your heater control valve (assuming your year has one) isn't closed.

Ditto, and if the blend door does move it can be in the right place some times, and in the wrong position other times. My Mercury will basically work great on AC in the Summer, for short periods, but any change of the blend door often moves it to the heat side. It's easy to tell if the air is warm coming out, but sometimes it's cold. I typically keep my AC on Max in that truck, and alter the fan speed. If I choose Defrost in the morning, that usually ends up giving me heat in the afternoon. I plan to swap the dash between my 98's, and I have one spare AC unit(good blend door).

Check your freon first of course, be sure the clutch cycles and stays on for a bit between shut downs.

When you start the vehicle from dead cold, if you get cold A/C that then begins to warm as the engine warms up your blend door isn't closed or perhaps your heater control valve (assuming your year has one) isn't closed.
I also see a nice puddle of water dripping on ground from the ac like usual. I did pull the vac line off the heater control valve and it looks like it went to closed but that didn't help any. Unless it went to open maybe. Anyways I'll hopefully be able to spend a little time with it tomorrow hopefully to check things out. Its def not as cold as it used to be, today was another killer for me.

I also see a nice puddle of water dripping on ground from the ac like usual. I did pull the vac line off the heater control valve and it looks like it went to closed but that didn't help any. Unless it went to open maybe. Anyways I'll hopefully be able to spend a little time with it tomorrow hopefully to check things out. Its def not as cold as it used to be, today was another killer for me.

Back