99 Explorer 4.0 SOHC heater hoses. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 4.0 SOHC heater hoses.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
In the next couple weeks I am going to replace the lower thermostat housing on my wife's 99 Explorer Sport that has the 4.0 SOHC engine. When I the coolant out I want to replace the heater hoses since they look original. I was wondering if those of you who have replaced the hoses have used the Ford premolded ones or just used bulk heater hose?.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine off when we did the engine
They were like new
I did not replace them

I would use pre-molded hoses, they are a better quality than bulk heater hose. I replaced all of mine when I bought my 99 SOHC truck at 77450 miles. I'm at 152k now and about to do the timing chain parts again. I think I'll replace the hoses again, I did them before in 2006.

Where would be the best place to get the pre-molded hoses?. Does anyone have part numbers for the hoses?.

Spend some time finding sources online, Rock Auto and Amazon are likely final sources. Those are helpful to find the most choices and part numbers. A Ford dealer can help a lot if you have a good friendly parts guy there, they aren't thrilled to give out part numbers for people to buy them elsewhere. Many of the Ford hoses may be obsolete, but those part numbers help a ton to find the right parts, even from other brands(they include cross reference data in their listings).

Usually it cones down to choosing better brands from Rock Auto once you figure out which hoses you need and find them in their listings.

Are the heater hoses going to be different for the 4.0 OHV & the 4.0 SOHC?.

Yes, they differ around the thermostat for sure.

I got as many molded as I could, and used bulk heater hose for the rest (usually straight shots anyway).

I Think mine were Gates. Ford hoses are likely more expensive for the same thing.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Friday after I got home from work & since my wife was home for the day & she did not run her truck I started taking stuff apart to do the heater hose replacement on my wife's 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC. I replaced the heater hoses that come out of the heater core that run to a double section of metal pipe, the hose that attaches to the upper pipe goes to the thermostat housing, & the hose from the lower pipe runs to the heater hot water valve then to the water pump. To make things easier for this "old man" I removed the alternator & the aluminum alternator bracket. Good thing I did as I found the bolt the attaches the tensioner to the bracket was loose. With the alternator bracket out of the way easy access to the hot water valve & the hose from the valve to the water pump. I replaced the thermostat & when I went to bolt the cover back on I dropped the bolt & it disappeared down onto the top of the engine behind the thermostat housing. 2 of the thermostat top cover bolts are easy to get at & one is under where the throttle body bolts up to the intake manifold & the egr tube goes into the intake manifold. I tried to fish it out with a magnet no luck. I pulled the 4 bolts out of the P/S pump bracket & moved it forward a few inches & it was just enough to see the bolt with a light just laying on top of the engine right behind the thermostat housing. I was then able to fish it out with the magnet & used the magnet to install the bolt in the hole of the thermostat top cover. To make room to pull the P/S pump I removed the fan & fan shroud & found the plastic fan starting to develop some cracks. Good thing I purchased one for the Explorer when I got one for my Ranger. The heater hoses where they attach to the heater core getting the clamps tight there is a challenge since the firewall curves out over the the hoses. All in all everything went well even with some difficulties & I also found a couple potential problems that I was able to fix. The replacement molded hoses I used were Dayco the part numbers are # - 87927 - valve to water pump, # - 80401 - pipe to valve, # - 80400 - pipe to engine inlet, # - 87766 x2 - heater to pipe, & Motorcraft # - YG364 - heater valve 2 port design.

I have to add ^^

I have orders oe parts from all 3

Back