99 explorer 5.0 in 91 explorer wiring ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer 5.0 in 91 explorer wiring ?

robsvo

Reaction score
City, State
richmond virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
In your opinion. The 5.0 I bought has the wireing harness still on the motor. The question being, should I scrap the 99 eec V harness and install an eec IV harness and distributor. If I keep the 99 harness and I would like to, where might there be a wiring diagram for the 99 haness mainly the two square plugs on the harness. I will also be using a mustang gt mid 80's aod so It won't need a computer to run the transmission. Also is there anything else that I may be missing about the 99 5.0 harness that will be a problem "splicing" into the 91 harness. I have done lots of searches and not realy found a direct answer so if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I installed a 97 5.0L in my 88 BII, which previsouly was a 93 4.0L Explorer drivetrain.
I have done all the wiring and have it all mapped out.
I can build you a plug and play harness.

IMO going back tot he EEC-IV setup with the distributor defeats the whole purpose of running the EEC-V setup. Also you will lsoe your 02 sensor and transmission controls.
The only issue you ahve to deal with using the 99 EEC is the PATs security system.
You will eaither have to use a non PATS computer (96-early 97) or have your 99 PCM re-flashed to eliminate the pATS, or install the entire PATS system into the 91. Doesnt sound to me like you got the PATs module, key and igntion switch with your engine however.

Read my conversion thread, I discuss the wiring a little bit, have pictures, and I could build you a plug in harness, but I wont lie in order for me to do this I would estimate $500+ for a plug in harness and I would need your 91 harness, and power dist box.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124626

Back