• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 5.0 SAS build

griz700rocket

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Just picked up a 99 Explorer 5.0 Limited with 135k on it. Transfer case is shot and has some pretty good body damage on passenger rear. Plan is to solid axle swap it and use it for a daily driver/weekend trail rig. I already have a full on play rig so I'm planning on keeping this one more street friendly. I have a narrow dana 44 but I dislike the 5x5.5 lug pattern so I'm trying to decide which way to go. I have two spare sets of super duty 8 lug rims but not sure I want to go full width. Any suggestions?

1Jxe_n27baP_9gvhdcbXKAAbOEf6Xq_fLIez=w1417-h798-no.jpg

bdOG3Zh8wAcdPsBK1hI6bO9lebXRdLXIUwex=w1417-h798-no.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Full width with super duty axles is possible but with the drivers side being so short it's impossible to use leaf springs. A rad arm or link setup is the only way.

I SASd the same truck, radius arm with a 65" jeep Dana 44 rubicon axle. Fits the truck nice with the flares and everything lined up really nice. Are you going to put a 4406 in? Ford or Toyota steering box? What are your fab skills

I did radius arms on my sport with a yota box. Already purchased a manual 4406 and plan on yota box and some sort of radius arm setup also.

I did radius arms on my sport with a yota box. Already purchased a manual 4406 and plan on yota box and some sort of radius arm setup also.

What's your beef with the 5x5.5? If this one is going to be street friendly, why bother with messing with new axles under the front and rear.

Mostly that I already have two extra sets of 8 lug rims. I'm leaving the 8.8 and buying wheel spacers/adapters. I've always hated how these IFS explorers rode on gravel/off road so it's definitely getting a solid front axle.

You can easily add 8 lug to your d44 if it's from a full size bronco or F-150. I have done it, all you need is a light duty F-250 d44.

Everything from the knuckles out will simply go on in place of your 5 on 5.5 parts. Or just use the whole light duty F250 rear.

My parts came from a 77 F-250 with a D44, easiest thing in the world.

Back