• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer ABS Light on

shanes76

Reaction score
City, State
Zanesville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 4X4
on my 99 explorer 4X4 the abs light is on, I have been reading and see that the speed sensor could be a reason for it not to work. On the rear rotors it dont look like they are even grabbing because the rotors arent clean like the front. And reason Im thinking the speed sensor is because between 2nd and drive I get what feels like its shifting into drive but its not and while trying to cruise at a steady speed of around 30mph it seems to surge. Any ideas on anything. I was thinking maybe the sensor on the rear diff. is bad. My speedo workd correctly though. Will autozone or advance auto pull the abs codes for me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it is usually the sensor in the rear differential.it was for me when mine came on .i have a 2000 ex sport.

They're pretty cheap, but you can try cleaning it first. It's a magnetic pick up so sometimes they get coated with crap. It is a little tough to get to but real easy to change. Only 1 bolt. Sits on top of the rear diff above the rear d-shaft.

Edit: Sorry didn't see in your post, you're on the right track. Mine went bad and speedo still worked.

Seems you have more then one problem.

1) Have the codes read before you throw sensors at it. Autozone usually can't read ABS codes, they only have basic scanners.

2) Check your rear brakes, you might have frozen calipers back there.

The ABS light is not related to your rear brake issue.

The rear brakes are working, I checked them out while having it on stands, looks like a smaller pad then the front but they are working, we bled the brakes today, all four wheels to see if any air was in it and Im guessing the sensor

replaced the speed sensor in the rear diff and the light went out, thanx alot guys

glad to help!
hows your other problem coming along?

Glad it worked out.

well the sensor took care of my abs light, I still got the code P1151 I havent drove it since I put the sensor in so it may have taken the bump out too, I was kinda thinking maybe the sensor wasnt telling my ABS something and the bump I was feeling was like a release on the brakes or something, Im gonna go for a ride in a little while to check it out

Back